Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > usage of standard cell libraries in Encounter

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

usage of standard cell libraries in Encounter 

Last post Thu, Sep 19 2013 12:22 PM by Kari. 2 replies.
Started by Kabal 31 Aug 2013 06:21 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 496 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sat, Aug 31 2013 6:21 PM

• Kabal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 30 2011
    • NM, NM
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,530
    usage of standard cell libraries in Encounter Reply

Hello,

I have already followed successfully some manual which basically talks about how to import the Verilog design which references the standard cell primitives contained in the LEF file. So I import the LEF file, and the .v file, and get the whole thing placed and routed. But that manual is about some generic NCSU-type format.

I now want to try similar thing, but specific to my design kit. The design kit is just a PDK from IBM for 7rf process.

I opened the LEF file provided by the kit, and noticed that there are no standard cell primitives description, as it was a case with LEF file from NCSU with which manual I followed was provided. All I find in the Design Kit's LEF file is description of some rules and layers.

So I assume that there has to be a way of entering the standard cell primitives in that LEF file?

If yes, then what is the smart and proper way of doing it?

Design kit also provides HDL files for the timing/behavior description of each standard cell as well as one big GDS file.

What would be the typical flow to make it all functional? in other words, to somehow let the encounter know about my standard cell files? (again because Design Kit's LEF file has only layer/rule iniformation)

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Sep 3 2013 2:56 PM

• Bart Yount
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 8 2013
    • Ridgeland, MS
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Re: usage of standard cell libraries in Encounter Reply

The GDS file probably contains the layouts of the standard cells. So I think what you will need to do is import the GDS

and then generate an abstract view for each of the cells from the layout view. You can then export the abstract views as LEF macros (cells).

Unfortunately it's been many years since I've gone through this process so I'm afraid I'm not much help with the details.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Sep 19 2013 12:22 PM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 693
    • Points 14,155
    Re: usage of standard cell libraries in Encounter Reply
    if you have GDS and verilog for the std cells, you should have recieved LEF too. check with the vendor.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Kabal at 31 Aug 2013 06:21 PM. Topic has 2 replies.