Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Cadence ADEXL: how to merge troubleshot point with rest of montecarlo data

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Cadence ADEXL: how to merge troubleshot point with rest of montecarlo data 

Last post Mon, Sep 2 2013 8:28 AM by Frank Wiedmann. 12 replies.
Started by spectrallypure 28 Aug 2013 01:46 PM. Topic has 12 replies and 1140 views
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Aug 28 2013 1:46 PM

Cadence ADEXL: how to merge troubleshot point with rest of montecarlo data Reply

Hello! I am having problems plotting the histograms of my monte carlo runs. Sometimes (I suspect due to license timeouts) the simulation of some points in the run "kind of" fails (i.e., they are not flagged as failed, but all their associated evaluated/measured quantities are zero!). These points lead to wrong histograms, since the zero values are taken into account for the plotting.

If, however, after the whole monte carlo run is over I use the option "[right-click] Troubleshoot point" on these failed points, they all run fine. The problem is that the troubleshot results for these points are not integrated with the rest of the monte carlo run, so I still get ill histograms. So my question is, how can I tell adexl to merge the troubleshot points' results with the rest of the original results, so as to replace the old zero-valued entries?

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/comments.

Cheers,

Jorge.

P.S. I naively attempted to fool adexl by manually copying the troubleshot results into the old point's data directory, but it didn't work; I guess I'm still lacking  a way to make adexl reload the data from the disk... how could I force this? (yes, I tried closing everything and reopening, but it doesn't seem to read the overwritten data!). 

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Aug 29 2013 2:30 AM

Re: Cadence ADEXL: how to merge troubleshot point with rest of montecarlo data Reply

Jorge,

I don't think this is possible currently (at least not without a lot of hacking). I suggest you contact customer support - it seems a reasonable request to be able to do this.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Aug 29 2013 6:59 AM

• Frank Wiedmann
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Muenchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,575
    Re: Cadence ADEXL: how to merge troubleshot point with rest of montecarlo data Reply

CCR 1183106 has been filed for this. Everyone who also needs this feature should ask Cadence support to file a duplicate of this CCR on his behalf. The more people ask for this feature, the more likely it is to be implemented soon.

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:45 AM

Thanks for your replies, Andrew & Frank. Unfortunately, I believe Europractice academic members don't have the possibility to contact Cadence customer support... do you know of any other means to channel such support requests for indirect Cadence users like us?

Cheers,

Jorge.

• Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:50 AM

Hi Jorge,

Contact Europractice (via http://www.europractice.stfc.ac.uk/contact_us.html I think) and then they will contact us on your behalf. We work closely with the folks at Rutherford Appleton Labs who run the Europractice software service.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:56 AM

Oh, that's great news Andrew; I will then contact them w.r.t to this problem.

Thanks again,

Jorge.

• Sat, Aug 31 2013 12:37 PM

• Frank Wiedmann
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Muenchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,575

Hi Andrew,

I see that the CCR has been rated with "Severity: Minor" by Cadence. Do you agree with this rating? What sense does the ability to troubleshoot points make if there is no way to integrate the results? This is a pretty obvious problem with no practical workaround, so I am rather surprised about this rating. One might even argue that the correct operation would be to automatically integrate the results from the troubleshoot points and rate the current behavior as a bug.

Jorge (and others needing this feature): If you want to get this fixed soon, you absolutely need to have your own CCRs filed for this issue. Hopefully, this will cause Cadence to give a higher priority to this problem.

Best regards,

Frank

• Sat, Aug 31 2013 3:36 PM

Hi Frank,

The  CCR hasn't actually been assessed to have S2 (minor) severity. What's happened is that it has been duplicated with earlier requests for this functionality. In fact it's now a member of a set of 4 duplicate CCRs - two of which are for merging the troubleshoot point results with the run they originated from, but the master is for a general request to be able to merge the results from any two runs (for example, you might have run with one sweep - and then run with another couple of points, but want to see the complete set merged together). Since the results for troubleshoot point are a different history point, effectively it's covered by the more general request.

However, the original requester for the general result merging filed it as an S2, and R&D at the time accepted that assessment of the severity.

Typically as duplicates come along, they get duplicated but nobody sits and reassesses the master's severity as the duplication is done. Instead, this happens during one of the periodic planning reviews as work is decided upon for an upcoming release. Then the severity and status etc will get updated accordingly. It just means it's done in the light of how many other issues with more (or less) impact have come up in the meantime - rather than just an impulse response on the day of a CCR being filed.

Given that 3 of the 4 duplicates were filed as S1, I've asked R&D/PE to update the master's reviewed severity to be S1 rather than S2 (and so you'd then see that severity on your CCR too - because the master data is visible on all duplicates).

The good news is that there are now already 4 in the set, so that's a good start! However, I should point out that implementing a result merging capability is not as trivial as it sounds - because there's the vital task needed of ensuring consistency in the results (less of a problem with troubleshoot point than the more general merging case).

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

• Sat, Aug 31 2013 5:11 PM

• Frank Wiedmann
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Muenchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,575

Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for the clarification. That sounds much better. It's a bit unfortunate that nothing of all this is visible for the customer on the support website.

Best regards,

Frank

• Sat, Aug 31 2013 11:05 PM

Frank,

The severity has now been updated, as requested.

Regards,

Andrew 

• Mon, Sep 2 2013 1:12 AM

• Frank Wiedmann
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Muenchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,575

Hi Andrew,

Just to let you know: I currently still see CCR 1183106 listed with "Severity: Minor" on support.cadence.com. However, now that I know all the background, this change from S2 to S1 is not really very important for me anymore.

Best regards,

Frank

• Mon, Sep 2 2013 1:19 AM

Hi Frank,

It's definitely been changed. Maybe support.cadence.com is showing the "reported" severity of the master CCR rather than the Cadence-assigned severity (although I'm not sure how) - or maybe it's just a data synchronization issue:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        CCR: 704700         
      Title: Ability to merge two run results
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
           State: Inactive      Inactive Reason: BK-Backlog 
        Req Type: E)nhancement     Rep Req Type: E)nhancement 
        Severity: 1                Rep Severity: 2           
         Urgency: D                 Rep Urgency: D           

Regards,

Andrew.

• Mon, Sep 2 2013 8:28 AM

• Frank Wiedmann
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Muenchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,575

Seems to have been a data synchronization issue: now I also see "Severity: Important" for this CCR.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by spectrallypure at 28 Aug 2013 01:46 PM. Topic has 12 replies.