Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > adding ahdl parameters to schematic

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

adding ahdl parameters to schematic 

Last post Fri, Feb 23 2007 7:43 AM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 23 Feb 2007 07:43 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 2314 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Feb 23 2007 7:43 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    adding ahdl parameters to schematic Reply

I want to include parameters, i.e. module parameters to the schematic. The schematic is 1 level above the ahdl code and the simulator is supposed to simulate it using the ahdl code.
    However when I include the parameters in the code and use the ahdl parser, it complains that it cannot find the declaration of those parameters anywhere.
    Is there a way in which we can specify those parameters which the module might be needing in the schematic/symbol itself so that when a new cell ahdl view is generated based on it, the parameters are already included in the code..

Hoping to hear from u,

Aijaz.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by aijazbaig1
    • Post Points: 0
  • Tue, Aug 14 2007 3:05 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: adding ahdl parameters to schematic Reply

I normally start with the Create New Cellview- (suing Verilog-A editor ) from the library manager..
    I set my editor to nedit (www.nedit.org) and use the Verilog-A.pats file you can download from their website.. (or by email to j.david@ieee.org)
    each time you save and exit - the system will do a syntax check, and then, if it passes, it will build the required symbol view for it..
    (if you answer yes.. )

If you START with a symbol, any parameters you add will be added to the CDF automatically when you "check and save" your veriloga view..
    -- BUT THATS not what you are asking..

After that, If I create another view (ie Verilog-AMS) those parameters that exist in the CDF are automatically included in the new verilog-AMS view.. ..

So there MUST be a way to do it..
    from icfb menu .. Tools -> CDF -> edit
    enter lib and cell name
    under component parameters
    "Add" -(as first parameter or after (existing) parameter name)
    set paramtype to "string"
    parse as number to "yes"
    units "don't use"
    parseAsCEL "yes"
    store default NO
    the NAME is the parameter name you get in your verilog-A view (spectreHDL is obsolete now!)
    the PROMPT is what you'll see when you "q" the instance of this to set the parameter - by default its the same as the NAME
    the defValue is the default value (if set it will be in your verilog-ams verilog-a view when you create a new cell view)
    the display parameter can be blank, - but the auto created parameters get
    "artParameterInToolDisplay('name)"

any CDF parameter you add this way will be added to your verilog-A or verilog-AMS view..
    HTH jbd\

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by jbdavid
  • Wed, Oct 3 2007 3:57 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: adding ahdl parameters to schematic Reply

If you define parameters in Verilog-A, their values can be overridden from the symbol on the schematic. The Verilog-A code will not be changed but instead, the schematic value will override the default value in each instantiation line in the netlist.

To see this in action, create a new Verilog-A cell and look at the CDF from CIW->Tools->CDF->Edit.

Regards,

Samir Jafferali

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by AMSamirj
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 23 Feb 2007 07:43 AM. Topic has 2 replies.