Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > Symbol view vs. spectre view

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Symbol view vs. spectre view 

Last post Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:10 AM by Magistus. 4 replies.
Started by Magistus 18 Jul 2013 05:05 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 745 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:05 AM

• Magistus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 3 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 85
    Symbol view vs. spectre view Reply

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused. I want to simulate some schematics using Spectre. The Cells i used have different Views. Until now i always used the symbol-view. But now i wondering: What are the other views used for? There are these views:

Should i use the spectre-view if i want to simulate using Spectre?

Thank you for all answers!

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jul 19 2013 5:04 AM

• Frank Wiedmann
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Muenchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,575
    Re: Symbol view vs. spectre view Reply

You should always use the symbol view for building your schematics. The spectre view is used as a so-called stop view. Interestingly, the best explanation of the function of a stop view seems to be on Agilent's website at http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/ads2008/dynlnkug/ads2008/Using_Switch_Views,_Stop_Views_and_the_Hierarchy_Editor.html 

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 5:36 AM

Actually, this is documented in the Virtuoso Analog Design Environment L User Guide (in cdnshelp, or look at <ICinstDir>/doc/anasimhelp/anasimhelp.pdf ). There's a section called "How the Netlister Expands Hierarchy" which explains this. In fact Agilent's site seems to have lifted exactly the same flowchart from the ADE documentation ;-)

It also refers to the hierarchy editor user guide (from the same document), which gives more control.

The idea is that having determined how the netlister expands the hierarchy, once it reaches a stopping view, it will then use the information in the Simulation Information section of the CDF for that component to determine how the instance formatted in the netlister. 

Typically the stop view is usually just a copy of the symbol, and is just a marker to tell it where to stop - it doesn't really need much information from the view itself - except the terminals. The terminals may potentially have additional (inherited) terminals for adding bulk terminals to 3 terminal transistors (for example), but in most cases the stopping view looks identical to the symbol view.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 5:51 AM

• Frank Wiedmann
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Muenchen, Bavaria
    • Posts 96
    • Points 1,575

Andrew Beckett:

Actually, this is documented in the Virtuoso Analog Design Environment L User Guide (in cdnshelp, or look at <ICinstDir>/doc/anasimhelp/anasimhelp.pdf ). There's a section called "How the Netlister Expands Hierarchy" which explains this. In fact Agilent's site seems to have lifted exactly the same flowchart from the ADE documentation ;-)

Thanks for letting me know, Andrew. For some reason, this document does not show up when I search support.cadence.com for "stop view".

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:10 AM

• Magistus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 3 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 85

I will read the User Guide an monday and write again if further questions occur.

Thank you Frank and Andrew!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Magistus at 18 Jul 2013 05:05 AM. Topic has 4 replies.