Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Text in PCB Designer 16.5

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Text in PCB Designer 16.5 

Last post Mon, Jun 24 2013 4:47 AM by B Price. 2 replies.
Started by B Price 21 Jun 2013 10:43 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 647 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Jun 21 2013 10:43 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510
    Text in PCB Designer 16.5 Reply

I'm starting to get more familiar with Allegro's PCB Designer, but I'm still quite confused about the way text is handled.

Looking at one particular example: 

In OrCAD Layout 10, I had silkscreen text built in to my footprints.  This text had a certain height and line width and when I placed the part in Layout, I could position the text appropriately.  When generating artwork, it was treated just like any other object on the silkscreen layer and this all worked great.

Moving into OrCAD PCB Designer 16.5, my footprints also have text reference designators on the silkscreen layer.  They all use a default text block 2 (width 23, height 31, line space 39, photo width 0, char space 8).  Suppose want to use 8 mil width on all of this text.  How can I see what that would look like so I can move text around appropriately?  Once I have my text positioned correctly and I'm ready to generate artwork, how do I get the text to show up?  Currently, even though I have my "Undefined line width" set to 8.0 for the silkscreen film, no text will show up in my gerbers...  What am I missing here?

I get the impression that the Allegro method of handling text is supposed to be powerful, but I'm just not understanding how it's intended to be used.

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jun 21 2013 2:03 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,387
    • Points 23,640
    Re: Text in PCB Designer 16.5 Reply

Text Blocks, set the Photoplot width as required, for "some" defaults, use 4, 6, 8, 10 and so on for the default Text Blocks, these will not then use the "undefined line width".

In the Artwork configuration, the "Undefined line width" is "per film", you need to set this for each film where you want to override any 0 width details with a specified value.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Jun 24 2013 4:47 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510
    Re: Text in PCB Designer 16.5 Reply

From a design theory standpoint, when should I be taking advantage of the undefined line width and when should I force a width by setting the photoplot?

Is there any way to 'preview' what text with undefined line width will look like at various overrides widths?  I just don't see a way to position text correctly without it... 

Also, it appears the artwork is fine - I didn't realize Designer changes filenames for artwork (rather than overwriting existing artwork files).  I think I was just looking at some old artwork files I'd generated earlier.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by B Price at 21 Jun 2013 10:43 AM. Topic has 2 replies.