Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Templates and CM default values (PCB Designer 16.5)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Templates and CM default values (PCB Designer 16.5) 

Last post Tue, Jun 25 2013 4:56 AM by B Price. 6 replies.
Started by B Price 17 Jun 2013 08:23 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 896 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jun 17 2013 8:23 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510
    Templates and CM default values (PCB Designer 16.5) Reply

Right now, the Constraints Manager (PCB Designer 16.5) populates all the entries with default values (for example, 5 mil spacing minimums for everything).  Is there a way to change these defaults?

On a related note, as I understand it there are several different template files that can be used:

.brd board files

.tcf technology files

.prm parameter files

My general understanding is that using a .brd template would include all the .tcf information and some/all of the .xml parameter information.  Can anyone clarify this?

Ideally, by setting up the right template I'll be able to preload all the desired settings for things like minimum trace widths, class colors, thermal relief specs, grid sizes, etc...

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Jun 17 2013 12:14 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350
    Re: Templates and CM default values (PCB Designer 16.5) Reply

No, you cannot change the defaults. Yes, you can create a board as a "starting point", or Template, and go from there. This template board can contain "anything" that does not relate to a netlist. Start a new board with the defaults, change all the settings you require for the template, save the resulting BRD file.

Within PCB Editor: 16.5 and on: File>New, there is a template button to browse for a template and a User  Preference to configure as the Template file source. Previous releases: copy the "template" and load the Logic into it.

Schematic driven: All versions: I think that both the HDL flow, and certainly the Capture (CIS) flow, allow an "input board" to be specified as a starting point to load the Logic into, Export Physical for HDL and Tools>Create Netlist for the Capture CIS flow.

• Mon, Jun 17 2013 12:23 PM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510

Thanks once again, oldmouldy.

Just to clarify, is it true that if I set up the .brd file correctly and use that as a template, there should be no reason to use .tcf or .prm files?

Things like trace widths are netlist specific - but can I preload them with my own 'default' minimums somehow?

Regarding schematics, are you indicating I should load in my input board template at the schematic capture stage?   

• Tue, Jun 18 2013 2:26 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350

Yes, that's true. You can setup the Constraint Sets for the various routing parameters and then apply then to Nets or Net Classes once the netlist is loaded.

Well, it's possible to drive this from the Schematic when the Netlist / Logic gets created, this is not a requirement though since you may be "given" the Netlist / Logic data, rather than creating it from the schematic. The process is that the Netlist / Logic and the Template need to be merged, you can do this in PCB Editor or driven from the Create Netlist / Export Logic step.

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 4:33 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510

I created a .brd board template but when I start a new board and try to load a template, nothing shows up (aside from .brd files in the current directory).  I can't browse to the correct location.  Database is unchecked and Library is checked (both grayed out).

I assumed I was missing a path in the User Preferences Editor, but I can't find any reference to .brd templates.  It's probably an easy answer, but what do I need to do? 

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 4:47 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350
    Setup>User Preferences, Paths, Config, wizard_template_path will set the paths to the template BRD files. You can remove all the default entries, if required.
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 4:56 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510
    Ah sneaky "next" button that I failed to notice under Config. Thanks, oldmouldy.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by B Price at 17 Jun 2013 08:23 AM. Topic has 6 replies.