Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Placement Edit not working?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Placement Edit not working? 

Last post Wed, Jun 19 2013 7:28 AM by TH Designs. 7 replies.
Started by TH Designs 13 Jun 2013 05:04 AM. Topic has 7 replies and 844 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 5:04 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Placement Edit not working? Reply

I have two sites where I use PCB Editor. One at a customer / employer and the other at my home office. Yesterday I took a file from the customer to my home office to continue working on it last night. When I opened the file to continue placing parts, placement edit would not work, meaning that I could not move any parts or text I had to use the "move" command to place the parts.

This is a small board with maybe 30 parts. normally I would select placement edit and have only "symbols" checked in the find filter. This would allow me to select and move any part on the board. It was not working this way. With placement edit selected as well as "symbol" when I selected a part, the part would highlight but I could not move it. The only way to move the part was to use the "move" command which is very time consuming.

This function worked just fine earlier in the week (and on several other boards) and it works just fine at the customers location. (same versions of Editor installed at both locations)

So the usual question......... What am I doing wrong?

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 9:14 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,540
    Re: Placement Edit not working? Reply
    Define "not working", you cannot select Setup>Application Mode>Placement Edit? You can select Setup>Application Mode>Placement Edit but the status does not show "Placement Edit"? Check Help>About to make sure that you are running at least an OrCAD PCB Designer Professional license.
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 9:45 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

OM,

Not working meaning that I select placement edit, I select "symbol" in the find window, I click on the part I want to move, the part highlights but I can not move it.

Mind you, I just finished up a board last week with 700 parts on it and did not have any issues with placing / moving any part using this method.

Tom

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:34 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,540
    Any messages about "not found", or "fixed" in the command window? Does the Status window show Placement Edit in the lower right?
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 12:07 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Placement edit shows in lower right window.

The only message I get is "last pick xxxx......"

I can move the part by using the "move" option vs placement edit which makes me think it is not a issue of the part being fixed.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Jun 13 2013 1:56 PM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 291
    • Points 4,640

To move a part on place app mode, you either to select and drag or double click and move. The single click just highlights.

You should also verify that the symbol is enabled in the Find Filter.

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Jun 14 2013 1:57 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,540
    OK, last hope is that it's the single-click that's not enabled. Get into Placement Edit, right-click in the background canvas, Customize>Enable Single Click Execution, now the symbols in the canvas should get stuck to the mouse when you click on them.
  • Wed, Jun 19 2013 7:28 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

oldmouldy:
    OK, last hope is that it's the single-click that's not enabled. Get into Placement Edit, right-click in the background canvas, Customize>Enable Single Click Execution, now the symbols in the canvas should get stuck to the mouse when you click on them.

I'm baaack....... Couldn't log into the Forum for several days. Forum tech support couldn't figure out why............. For some reason I'm able to log in today. Time to play catch up.

No earth shattering conclusions. After working on the board for a few days on a different computer, I took it back to my home office and I can now move and place parts like always. I didn't change any settings. The only thing I can point to would be a computer power down and power up cycle.

Another anomaly solved, but not understood.............

Thanks for the suggestions and assistance guys!

Tom

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 13 Jun 2013 05:04 AM. Topic has 7 replies.