Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Board outline help

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Board outline help 

Last post Fri, Jun 14 2013 7:36 AM by B Price. 9 replies.
Started by B Price 10 Jun 2013 06:00 AM. Topic has 9 replies and 2848 views
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 6:00 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510
    Board outline help Reply

Hi all, I'm working my way through transitioning from OrCAD 10.0 to 16.5.

I've started a new design and have a few questions regarding board outlines in OrCAD PCB Editor:

1) How can I create board oultines where the lines are not at 90degree angles?

2) How can I type in coordinate points for my board outline?

3) Is there a way to copy a board outline from an existing .brd file and paste it into an existing design?  The Help -> Documentation mentions a "boardoutline import" which is supposed to be under File -> Import -> Board.  This doesn't seem to exist and the command is not recognized when I type it into the console.  Am I missing something?  I did notice the documentation pulls up Allegro PCB Editor and there is no entry for OrCAD PCB Editor...

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Jun 10 2013 9:03 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170
    Re: Board outline help Answer Reply

Add>Line, Options: Board Geometry / Outline, Line Lock set to "Off" for any angle, 90 or 45 are possible, also Arc can be used instead of Line for arcs.

Add>Line, Options: Board Geometry / Outline, type x<space><XLoc><space><yLoc><enter> at the Command line for each point, you can also use the incremental "picks", ix<space><xInc><enter> and iy<space><yInc><enter> if you prefer increments. Like:
    x 0 0
    ix 250
    iy 1000

and so on, you will need to add points until the outline is completed in one go. Entering co-ordinates won't care about the line lock.

You could display only the outline and Export a DXF from that and then Import the DXF to another BRD file. You could copy and rename the BRD file in Windows Explorer and load the Logic into it - in 16.6 one BRD file can be a template for another design.

• Tue, Jun 11 2013 6:28 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510
    Re: Board outline help Reply

Thanks, oldmouldy.  I'm surprised under Setup -> Outlines -> Board Outline, the same options for line locks don't exist!

It sounds like unless the board outline is really complex, it will be easier just to construct a new board outline.

Is it true that it is impossible to copy shapes, lines, etc from design to another?  This was a very normal part of OrCAD 10 which I miss.  I can't even find a way to open 2 designs simultaneously just to visually compare them.

• Post Points: 50
  • Tue, Jun 11 2013 6:53 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

You will find many things you miss from the old program.

You can not open two files at once. You shouldn't have been able to do it in the old one either, but you could. I had a designer at one time who kept opening two files at once and saving the wrong one................

Tom

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Jun 12 2013 8:05 AM

• Kurt222
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 18 2009
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30
    Re: Board outline help Answer Reply

Can you not do a file>export>sub-drawing of the outline in orcad? That's an easy solution in Allegro.

Kurt

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 4:16 AM

• AlanK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 30 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 10

All,

Actually you can open two designs if you are running Allegro PCB Editor.

Make sure to also have an install of OrCAD PCB Editor, even if you don't have a license.

You can open open OrCAD PCB Editor in demo mode and have the other board open in Allegro PCB Editor.

I do this a lot to compare changes between the same boards.

Regards, 

Alan

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:47 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510

Genious, Kurt222.  That sub-drawing export is so simple and clean - this is the easiest way I've seen to copy/paste between designs.

Thanks everyone for your valuable input! 

• Thu, Jun 13 2013 12:11 PM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510

I was able to create a polygon for the board outline by using the Add Line tool and choosing the Board Geometry/Outline class/subclass.

I was hoping to do the same thing for the Package Keepin and Route Keepin, but those classes are only available for Add Rectangle.  I can't change the class of an existing poly line either...

Is there any way to designate non-rectangular Package Keepin and Route Keepin ?

• Fri, Jun 14 2013 1:08 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,211
    • Points 19,710

If you already have a board outline then use Edit - ZCopy to create the package and route keepin. Check the options fold out menu on the right hand side to set the layer to copy to and the "offset" amount (contract / expand) then click on the board outline.

• Fri, Jun 14 2013 7:36 AM

• B Price
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 25
    • Points 510
    Once again, thanks for the concise explanations - ZCopy is exactly what I needed.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by B Price at 10 Jun 2013 06:00 AM. Topic has 9 replies.