Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > ac power calculation for rectifier in cadence ADE

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

ac power calculation for rectifier in cadence ADE 

Last post Mon, Dec 2 2013 1:58 PM by serkan densiz. 3 replies.
Started by MicroShab 03 Jun 2013 11:21 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 2271 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jun 3 2013 11:21 AM

• MicroShab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 10 2013
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70
    ac power calculation for rectifier in cadence ADE Reply

Hi,

I am designing a rectifier and need to calculate the efficiency.

I have followed the below procedure:

1. Designed a rectifier using MOSes with RF signal at 865MHz with a load current of 4uA.

2. Simulated the rectifier using transient analysis. I tried to vary the design variable 'v' (Input Voltage amplitude) to monitor the dc voltage.

3. In order to calculate the efficiency, I need to know the ac power and dc power.  When I gave input voltage of 450mV (amplitude), I observed the plot of 412mV as dc output. So, my dc power is 4uA * 412mV.

4. Coming to ac power, I did ac analysis by sweeping the design variable 'v' at frequency of 865MHz. Then, in the calculator using Vf and If, I selected the net and node of the voltage source.Then, I selected the "average" function. Am I correct? Will the average of the (V*I) gives the ac power? By doing so, I didn't observe desired plots.

Can you please let me know how to calculate the ac power? Is there any other procedure to do the same? If I have done any mistake in the above procedure,please correct me. 

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 3:31 AM

• MicroShab
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 10 2013
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70
    Re: ac power calculation for rectifier in cadence ADE Reply

What should I consider (either rms or average value) of voltage and current while calculating ac and dc power?

When I tried to calculate average dc current, its neither plotting the graph nor showing the value. It says expression is invalid.

Can you please explain how to do so? I am in desperate need of help. Pls folks, post ur suggestions. 

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 4:00 AM

First of all, please read the forum guidelines.

I'm not sure what an "ur suggestion" is, but it would help if you actually gave the expressions you tried which didn't work. Also, whether you need to plot rms or average surely depends on which it is that you're trying to measure?

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 2 2013 1:58 PM

@MicroShab, you need to study up a bit, it looks as if you are trying to cook something up at the last minute. Firstly the AC power also contains a power factor "cos (angle)" which decides how much AC power is being provided. Once you find out the power factor, multiply it with V*I and you'll get AC power. Once you get AC power, you have the DC power already calculated so I assume it might not be difficult for you to find efficiency. Now you might be thinking what is cos (angle), that is something you might have to find from books on electrical circuits and techniques.

pcb assembly

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by MicroShab at 03 Jun 2013 11:21 AM. Topic has 3 replies.