Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Manual Interactive Routing in Orcad Pro is not easy.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Manual Interactive Routing in Orcad Pro is not easy. 

Last post Tue, May 14 2013 8:34 PM by ScottCad. 2 replies.
Started by ScottCad 13 May 2013 09:36 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 529 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, May 13 2013 9:36 AM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 174
    • Points 2,690
    Manual Interactive Routing in Orcad Pro is not easy. Reply

Hi guys just a few questions, perhaps you can offer insight on how you are doing this.

In etch edit mode when I route multiple traces at the same time is there any way to gather the traces so that the spacing of the traces get tapered down or pulled closer together as I continue routing.

When adding vias in multi route mode is it possible to stagger the vias when I switch from the top layer to the bottom layer of the board.

I know these handy features are in the full blown allegro package but they do not appear to be in the Orcad level of the tool. Was wondering if there is any way to take some of the heavy lifting out of routing traces manually in Orcad pro. Seems like the ability to gather traces or stagger vias should be standard by default.

Thoughts ?

Thanks Scott

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, May 14 2013 1:51 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,060
    • Points 17,150
    Re: Manual Interactive Routing in Orcad Pro is not easy. Reply

The only option you have in the OrCAD Pro space is to manually route the tracks to the min line space using Hug then window the ends and route them all together. When routing a group you can double click to add multiple vias but there is no options to change to different via patterns or differen spacing options. You will need Allegro for that.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, May 14 2013 8:34 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 174
    • Points 2,690
    Re: Manual Interactive Routing in Orcad Pro is not easy. Reply

HI Steve, thanks for the info. I had fielded that question for a friend that was considering a purchase of the Orcad tools.

Seems kind of odd to me that in particular the multi line route has a limitation on the endpoints like pin or segment spacing. With that limitation it sort of renders that feature to be more feature less, Not really usable unless all the segments or pins are lined up.

I guess one could get used to it but with competing vendors offering that functionality in their tools at a similar price point, Yikes thats a bit of a hard sell eh.

Would be nice to see those items get included for users of the Lower tier product, i imagine it might lead to a wider adoption of the tool and offer a good productivity boost at the same time to existing and perspective users.

Thanks for the insight.

Scott

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 13 May 2013 09:36 AM. Topic has 2 replies.