Home > Community > Forums > PCB SKILL > Updating pad names with SKILL

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Updating pad names with SKILL 

Last post Wed, May 8 2013 5:39 PM by MikeBR. 3 replies.
Started by MikeBR 08 May 2013 10:05 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 610 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, May 8 2013 10:05 AM

• MikeBR
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 8 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30
    Updating pad names with SKILL Reply

Hello all,

I'm a total novice at using skill skill scripting, but have a background in other languages (C++ mostly).  At my company, we have a huge database of symbols, padstacks, etc.  And would like to standardize all of them.  The only reasonable way I can see to accomplish this is to figure out how to write a script that will update every drawing automatically.

The problem I'm trying to figure out is how to take the information in a padstack (the width, height, type, etc.) and rename the padstack using that information.  So, for example, a 0.5 x 1.5 rectangular pad becomes 0p5x1p5r.pad

Is this possible?  If so, how?

Thanks,

Mike

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, May 8 2013 10:51 AM

• aCraig
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 16 2008
    • Pepperell, MA
    • Posts 129
    • Points 2,125
    Re: Updating pad names with SKILL Reply

YOu will need to create new padstack called 0p5x1p5.pad then replace the old padstack with the new one. Look at axlDBCreatePadstack and axlReplacePadstack.

Update: take a look at this thread. http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/p/16922/1179240.aspx#1179240

Craig

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, May 8 2013 4:38 PM

• MikeBR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

Creating pads with CreatePadstack seems to be fairly well documented, but I'm not sure how to retrieve properties from the existing pads?

I've used ashFindAllPins() from the examples directory to get the dbid of every pin, and can use axlDBGetPad to get the pad ID, but when I try to find the properties of the various pads using plist(pad_id), or any other variation I can find, it always returns a nil value.

The commenters in the thread you've linked to seem to have figured this out, and it sounds like it should be simple to accomplish.  I just haven't found the right syntax for it.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, May 8 2013 5:39 PM

• MikeBR
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

Nevermind, I seem to have gotten it.  Just a matter of printing out dbid->?? to discover all the properties of the dbid I'm trying to change, and then calling them out when creating the new pads.

Thanks though!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by MikeBR at 08 May 2013 10:05 AM. Topic has 3 replies.