Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > multiple part symbols

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

multiple part symbols 

Last post Tue, Apr 23 2013 5:12 AM by rwetz. 2 replies.
Started by rwetz 22 Apr 2013 08:03 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 729 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:03 AM

• rwetz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 25 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 810
    multiple part symbols Reply

Hi All,

I'm using 16.5. I started to make a new symbol with one part/package. I have about 100 pins, out of 250+ pins, placed on this package. Now I decided to add a second part and make this a two parts/package symbol. I clicked on OPTIONS/PACKAGE PROPERTIES and I can change the Parts per Pkg to 2, but the Heterogeneous radio button is grayed out. If I create a brand new part and copy/paste my existing part, the pin names copy over, but the pin numbers don't. Is there an easy way to add a second part and make this a two part symbol? TIA.

Bob 

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Apr 23 2013 2:28 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350
    Re: multiple part symbols Reply
    Open the library, select the existing part, right-click>Split Part, this will open a "spreadsheet like" control where you can set the new part name and change the number of sections and add pins. The saved result will be a heterogeneous part, you can retain the existing pins in the first section. When you save the part, you will get "rectangles" for each sectuion, you can then edit the graphics, if required.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Apr 23 2013 5:12 AM

• rwetz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 25 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 810
    Re: multiple part symbols Reply

Thanks Oldmouldy! I actually did the RMB>Split Part and saw the spreadsheet. I knew I could change the number of parts and add pins, but I didn't realize that the part would then save as heterogeneous, so I never tried to save it. I abandoned my effort one step too soon! Thanks for all of your good answers to this forum.

Bob 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by rwetz at 22 Apr 2013 08:03 AM. Topic has 2 replies.