Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Sliding vias across dynamic fill copper shape boundaries - PCBDesigner 16.6

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Sliding vias across dynamic fill copper shape boundaries - PCBDesigner 16.6 

Last post Thu, Apr 4 2013 8:40 AM by AnthonyK. 3 replies.
Started by AnthonyK 04 Apr 2013 07:20 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 631 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:20 AM

• AnthonyK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80
    Sliding vias across dynamic fill copper shape boundaries - PCBDesigner 16.6 Reply

Hi

I'm using PCB Editor 16.6 and routing a 6 layer board with several inner power and ground planes defined as dynamic fill copper shapes with the relevant nets attached.

I'm trying to slide clines which have top-to-bottom (not blind or buried) vias.

I find that the vias won't cross the inner layer shape boundaries smoothly and I certainly can't get a via to sit on top of the edge of the shape.

I can place a new via on a shape boundary but when I slide it later it just jumps to one side of the boundary or the other.

I've tried all sorts of settings of "slide" options and "shape" options like deferring dynamic fill, disabling DRC and so on without success.

So: any ideas on how I can get vias to slide smoothly across dynamic fill copper shape boundaries?

Thanks in anticipation...

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:47 AM

• aCraig
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 16 2008
    • Pepperell, MA
    • Posts 129
    • Points 2,125
    Re: Sliding vias across dynamic fill copper shape boundaries - PCBDesigner 16.6 Reply

Try this unsupported environment variable.

set etchedit_ignore_dynamic_shapes

Craig

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Apr 4 2013 8:34 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 82
    • Points 4,690
    Re: Sliding vias across dynamic fill copper shape boundaries - PCBDesigner 16.6 Reply

It sounds like one of your inner plane shapes is static and not dynamic, or at least the same type of behavior occurs with static shapes.

Maybe you accidentally copied one of your inner plane shapes to a Via Keepout subclass - but you would see DRCs for vias that are inside the shape.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Apr 4 2013 8:40 AM

• AnthonyK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

It works!  Many thanks, Craig,  for the information and for reducing my blood pressure.

I use the slide function all the time for manual routing and find it really usefull. I'm surprised that this problem has to be resolved by an undocumented function.  As I missing something here I wonder, like a better way to shift clines and vias than using "Slide"? 

Anthony

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by AnthonyK at 04 Apr 2013 07:20 AM. Topic has 3 replies.