Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Using custom footprint ... not messing with the instalation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Using custom footprint ... not messing with the instalation 

Last post Mon, Mar 25 2013 6:11 AM by BillZ. 5 replies.
Started by Martins 22 Mar 2013 05:35 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1226 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 5:35 AM

• Martins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 11 2013
    • Posts 9
    • Points 165
    Using custom footprint ... not messing with the instalation Reply

Hi.

I have the following custom footprint with files:

fp1.psm; fp1.dra; r411_367.pad

If I put these fles (I tested) in C:\Cadence\SPB_16.3\share\pcb\pcb_lib\symbolsfootprint the footprint will be shown in Capture->ShowFootprint.

The problem is that I don't want to mess around the installation that doesn't belong to me. I nees to keep my files out of the installation as much as possible.

Even so, I tried to mess with PCB Editor  (** my personal lib folder is H:/hm/proj/Electronica/_lib/PCB ***)

... so that:

set  padpath      = . symbols .. ../symbols C:/Cadence/SPB_16.3/share/local/pcb/padstacks C:/Cadence/SPB_16.3/share/pcb/pcb_lib/symbols C:/Cadence/SPB_16.3/share/pcb/allegrolib/symbols H:/hm/proj/Electronica/_lib/PCB

set  psmpath      = . symbols .. ../symbols C:/Cadence/SPB_16.3/share/local/pcb/symbols C:/Cadence/SPB_16.3/share/pcb/pcb_lib/symbols C:/Cadence/SPB_16.3/share/pcb/allegrolib/symbols H:/hm/proj/Electronica/_lib/PCB

... but still I can't convince Capture to find out the footprint if the filesare not located in C:\Cadence\SPB_16.3\share\pcb\pcb_lib\symbolsfootprint

Is there a way to convince Orcad Capture to find out my own lib's, specially footprints, messing around with the installation as less as possibe?

Thanks
    Martins

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 8:28 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 19,555
    Re: Using custom footprint ... not messing with the instalation Reply

Edit the capture.ini file and add the path to the new footprint locations. Capture ini is stored <your_install_dir\tools\capture directory for pre 16.6 and %HOME%\cdssetup\OrCAD_Capture\16.6.0 for 16.6

[Footprint Viewer Type]

Type=Allegro

[Allegro Footprints]

Dir0=fullpathtofootprints

Dir1=fullpathtofootprints

Dir2=fullpathtofootprints

• Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:23 AM

• Martins
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 165

Thank you Steve;

I did as you suggested. The previous error has gone but was replaced by:

ERROR(SPMHA1-161): Cannot open the design database file ... run standalone dbdoctor on the file. Unable to opening design H:\hm\proj\Electronica\_lib\PCB\FP1.psm

I used DbDoctor against that file (and all other files inside H:\hm\proj\Electronica\_lib\PCBbut that can e handled by DbDoctor), and it keeps replying the same SPMHA1-161.

Now, I guess it may be protesting about the "database file". Database of files? This specific file among all the project files?

This is quite anoying :)

Regards
    Martins

• Mon, Mar 25 2013 2:19 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 19,555

There will be a corresponding FP1.dra file. Can you open that run a dbcheck on this footprint and then re-create the psm file. Then try again.

• Mon, Mar 25 2013 4:22 AM

• Martins
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 165

Thank you.

Dbcheck on FP1.dra: 0 warnings, 0 errors detected, 0 errors  fixed.

On the other side I asked for temporary permition to put these three files (fp1.psm; fp1.dra; r411_367.pad) inside [...]\share\pcb\pcb_lib\symbols and they work OK.

Martins

• Mon, Mar 25 2013 6:11 AM

• BillZ
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,245

Hi,

Your symbol search path is from the top down as listed in the user preferences. So the tool was looking for the old symbol you installed in the default directory before the new library you wanted. You can raise your custom library higher in the search list with the Arrows in the User Preferences. Raise this path above your default path:H:/hm/proj/Electronica/_lib/PCB

Also the . (peroid) = the current working directory, .. (double period) means search one directory up.

BillZ

EMA Design Automation

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Martins at 22 Mar 2013 05:35 AM. Topic has 5 replies.