Sure, Auto Rename uses a property to decide which parts are available for rename and you can add the AUTO_RENAME property manually with Edit > Property.
1) Edit > Property and check Components in the Find Filter
2) Select Property from the Find By Name pulldown and click the More.. button.
3) Select the Property (ie."connector=dual") from the list and click the Apply button.
4) Select AUTO_RENAME from the Available properties on the left side of the form to move it to the right and click the Apply button
5) Before running rename you need to uncheck Rename all components in the Rename RefDes form (Logic > Auto Rename Refdes > Rename) so it only renames the components with the AUTO_RENAME property.
Another tip, if you have certain components that you don't want renamed in the layout just add the HARD_LOCATION property to the component and it won't be touched during Auto Rename (without having to got thru the steps above) and also if you try to manually change the refdes it will warn you that it has a Hard Location property.
Hope this helps,