Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Grid Spacing. In the UI how do I know what grid I am using ? while routing.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Grid Spacing. In the UI how do I know what grid I am using ? while routing. 

Last post Fri, Mar 8 2013 9:24 PM by ScottCad. 5 replies.
Started by ScottCad 07 Mar 2013 07:44 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 1056 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:44 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775
    Grid Spacing. In the UI how do I know what grid I am using ? while routing. Reply

This is kind of a silly question but when I am routing in traces I sometimes wonder what my grid spacing is set to. Is there any way to have the user interface at the bottom part of the window show what your grid is currently set to, kind of like how the net name shows up when you route stuff in. Any hacks most welcome : )

Seriously though What I find my self doing is this. I have macros for the grids assigned to hot keys when I press the hotkey there is a little space next to the pick and relative buttons at the bottom of the UI that will flash for a second as the macro runs that shows what my grid is set to but after the macro runs that space becomes blank again. Happens real fast too so it is difficult to catch what gets displayed.

Now what would be really nice is this. At the bottom of the ui there is a little box that displays the grid setting like 25, 50 , 100 etc what ever the grid is set to but if you click in that little display box you could select various grid sizes that you might have populated it with earlier on. Doing this would mean, no need for the macros and no need to go up to the tool bar and click setup grids.

Easy eh .. : :)

Thanks Scott.

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 5:22 AM

• joma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2012
    • Toulouse, Garonne (Haute)
    • Posts 29
    • Points 535
    Re: Grid Spacing. In the UI how do I know what grid I am using ? while routing. Reply

Not exactly what you want maybe,but I use a little skill prog that I found in the skill forum called grid_conv.il.
    Hats off to Min Sook who wrote a very simple function in 2009.
    You can find it at http://www.cadence.com/community/forums/T/13916.aspx
    I made one small change so that I just type gr to obtain a popup for x and y spacings.
    (Change grid in first and last lines to gr).
    The good thing is that you only have type the x spacing if y is the same then hit return.
    The popup stays floating with the last grid size shown in it and you can use it again anytime.
    The only problem I found is that the grid display is switched on each time instead of being left as it was.
    I had no success trying to fix this as I am not into skill code, but it is no big deal to me.

Jim O'Mahony

Jim O'Mahony, Studiel Toulouse
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 5:52 AM

• aCraig
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 16 2008
    • Pepperell, MA
    • Posts 132
    • Points 2,070
    Re: Grid Spacing. In the UI how do I know what grid I am using ? while routing. Reply

Jim,

Remove these 2 lines "FORM grid display YES;"

Craig

• Fri, Mar 8 2013 6:02 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 97
    • Points 4,930

Hi Scott,

All of my grid setting scripts has an echo which prints the grid increment which is set by the script.  After hitting the funckey the grids are set then the following is printed to the Allegro Command line:
              ## NON-ETCH and ALL ETCH grids set to 25 mil (100 mil highlight) ##

Adding this to the bottom of the grid script:
              echo "## NON-ETCH and ALL ETCH grids set to 25 mil (100 mil highlight) ##"

Pretty simple but effective.   It would be nice to have the current grid settings on the bottom part of the window.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 6:33 AM

• joma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2012
    • Toulouse, Garonne (Haute)
    • Posts 29
    • Points 535

Thanks Craig, works fine like that.
    Easy when you know how ;-)

Jim O'Mahony, Studiel Toulouse
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 9:24 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775

Hi guys

Thanks for the helpful hints, appreciate it

Scott.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 07 Mar 2013 07:44 PM. Topic has 5 replies.