Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Strange Error when accessing OLB symbol library

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Strange Error when accessing OLB symbol library 

Last post Wed, Mar 12 2014 4:11 PM by Chicklets. 5 replies.
Started by C4Blake 07 Mar 2013 05:20 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 2546 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Mar 7 2013 5:20 PM

• C4Blake
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 8 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 55
    Strange Error when accessing OLB symbol library Reply

We recenlty upgraded from 16.3 to 16.6.  since then ive been experiencing the following Errors when i open the company OLB library. 

ERROR(ORCAP-1558): Unexpected error in database access.
    ERROR(ORDBDLL-1016): File not found

At first i was able to just click through the errors and it would end up working, it was annyoing but i could make my canges and additions and all was OK, but just today it has now got worse where it closes the library when it gets the error.  So now i cant get my work done.  None of the other engineers here are expereincing this issue on their machines.  

Any Ideas?  What database is it referinging to, the olb file is local to my machine is it calling that library a database?

Thanks

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 6:26 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,185
    Re: Strange Error when accessing OLB symbol library Reply
    The database in Question is the internal symbol definition(s) within the OLB file, basically the file has some corrupted symbol data within it. The last accessed symbol name is stored in the related OPJ file, when you open the OLB file, the OPJ file sets the selected item to the last selected part, that's corrupted so the application exits. Delete the OPJ file related to the OLB file and you will be able to open the file again. You will need to create a new library and copy the entries from the original to the new library, omitting the corrupted entry, or entries and then use the "New" library as your master. The corruption was likely down to copying a part and renaming it without saving the library after the rename before editing the renamed item, or pasting the original item back to the library.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Mar 8 2013 7:57 AM

• C4Blake
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 8 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 55

Do you know of any simple way to determine what symbol or symbols are corrupt? 

I do still find this very strange.  I would think that if there was a corruption issue that everyone using the library would be experiencing the same behavior, but none of the other engineers have been seeing this issue.  Also it only started happening when i upgraded from 16.3 to 16.6.  The other engineers have also upgraded to 16.6 as well.  The one difference i can think of is that im running windows7 64bit.

Thanks.

• Thu, Jun 20 2013 3:52 AM

You might have found a solution already, but I just realized that this is caused by one or more corrupted symbols. The error is still there in 16.2 and upwards, but it seems like 16.6 is reporting the error more frequently(a lot of dialog boxes).

Open the library in Orcad, highlight the top symbol and the step through all with the down arrow. Click once pr. symbol. When you come to the corrupted symbol you wil get the error and Orcad might crash. Then do as described above, that means delete the .opj file and then copy all working symbols from the old library to a new.

It might be an easier way of detecting the corrupted symbol, but this was the quickest for me.

• Wed, Aug 21 2013 1:09 PM

Thanks Cantstandya - the click through tip worked great for me.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Mar 12 2014 4:11 PM

• Chicklets
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Basically, that's what we've been doing as well.  Search for the corrupted symbol and copy everything else to a new library.  HOWEVER - that's not the end of it.  Our library team has been having had to deal with this weekly! 

I appreciate the methodology from "oldmouldy", that will help us track down the process issue(s) we may be doing to create this error. 

This should NOT BE AN ERROR!  It would be very nice if Cadence would fix it!!!  Can we please get cleanup on aisle 5, "Library symbol cache editors"?  Or does anyone know of an "add-on" for library management that will help resolve the issue?

Thanks

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by C4Blake at 07 Mar 2013 05:20 PM. Topic has 5 replies.