Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

BOM 

Last post Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:10 AM by rwetz. 4 replies.
Started by rwetz 27 Feb 2013 07:06 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 941 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:06 AM

• rwetz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 25 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 810
    BOM Reply

Hi All,

Using 16.5.

I'm trying to generate a BOM by using REPORT > CIS Bill of Materials > Standard... and Exporting it to Excel

In the Output Format part of the screen I see the items to use for column headers. Some of the header items have a small schematic symbol icon and some have a small yellow square (folder?) icon. When I output the file I can see data in the columns with the schematic icon, but no data in the yellow square columns, only headers. How can I make the data apprear in these columns? Thanks!

Bob 

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Feb 27 2013 8:14 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 23,705
    Re: BOM Reply
    That icon is a "drum", load from the database property, does the database actually have any property values in it? Sounds like it might not and you only have the schematic properties. Run the Part Manager and check that the Part Status is up to date.
  • Wed, Feb 27 2013 11:42 AM

• rwetz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 38
    • Points 810

Hi OM,

Do you mean the database that Orcad opens up when I say  Place > Database Part? None of the parts in my schematic are taken from this database. I'm modifying an existing schematic from an outside customer and I copied/pasted parts from the existing schematic, or I loaded a generic part from my own library and edited the properties within the schematic. I don't even have any of these parts listed in my database.Is there a way to copy parts from my schematic into the database?

Bob 

• Wed, Feb 27 2013 1:06 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,391
    • Points 23,705
    Yes, it's the Place>Database part (or Link Database Part) actions that connect the Part in the schematic with the "drum" in the report and, that at least, explains why what is happening happens. You can add the parts to your database but you won't get any additional information, beyond the existing schematic properties, which you can report on anyway, unless you add the additional information for those parts to your database. You could start with select the DSN in the Project Window and Tools>Export Properties to get a Tab Delimited Text file of the schematic parts and properties and work from there to get the parts into your database but you won't gain anything as far as the report goes unless you add the additional information to the database.
  • Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:10 AM

• rwetz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 38
    • Points 810

Thanks oldmouldy! For now I did a workaround by copying the data from the two "drum" columns to two unused columns with the schematic icon. Then I rename them in Excel. I'll try loading the schematic parts into the database when time permits. 

Bob 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by rwetz at 27 Feb 2013 07:06 AM. Topic has 4 replies.