Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > PCB Editor Routing Help

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

PCB Editor Routing Help 

Last post Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:34 AM by FrancisFogarty. 4 replies.
Started by FrancisFogarty 19 Feb 2013 03:42 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 815 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:42 AM

PCB Editor Routing Help Reply
    Hi All,

Newbie alert so sorry if the post is in the wrong place. if it is you can direct me to the correct place to post.

im also new to PCB editor. i went straight into laying out the board with PCB editor. i created my packages and footprints padstacks and placed them onto the board. the problem i have is when it comes to routing.

i dont have nets interconnecting pins eg sma pin to device package pin. because i simply cant find how to do that.

if i try routing the pins diectly with 'add connect' im not fully sure if it is connecting the pins together correctly because i get a DRC error saying line to SMB spacing constraint 0.127mm actual 0mm.

i suppose my question is will the two points still be connected correctly even though DRC error? and how come i cant add a net when in PCB editor like you can with 'PADS' not saying pads is better cause i think Aleegro is much easy to use except when it comes to routing.

Also is there an easy way to make the connect etch find the center of the pin or pad directly?

Regards

Fran 
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Feb 19 2013 6:36 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170
    Re: PCB Editor Routing Help Reply
    PCB Editor has a schematic / netlist driven flow. The "stuff" you are adding with no netlist has no intelligence as to what should connect to what, the pins have no nets assigned, the etch has no nets assigned, PCB Editor sees "things on top of things" and knows that is not good, hence the DRCs. You can ignore all the DRCs and that might be OK but the idea behind the tools is that you have a netlist that describes the required conenctivity and PCB Editor helps to ensure that connectivity is correctly implemented. Without a netlist, you have no check for whether, or not, two, or possibly more, objects should be connected, or isolated.
  • Tue, Feb 19 2013 7:06 AM

Hi oldmouldy, Thanks very much for the reply. that makes sense alright. is there a way that i can add related pins to a net within PCB Editor? like the center pin of an sma to a header pin to a device pad etc. could i possibly export the layout back to DE HDL and the packages automatically become components on the schematic and connect it from there? Thanks for the help. Regards Fran
  • Tue, Feb 19 2013 7:44 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170
    If you have enough PCB Editor license, try Allegro PCB Designer 16.6, you can add Logic but, whatever you do you can't create a schematic from there - Schematic driven flow... Draw the Schematic in DE HDL (CIS), export Physical (Create Netlist) to load this to a BRD file, layout the board in PCB Editor, import Physical (Backannotate) to sync the Schematic and Board, repeat...
  • Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:34 AM

Hi,
    well im actually using allegro designer but i jumped straight to board layout rather that a schematic design with DE HDL from within project manager.

See there isnt a footprint for the device that i wanted or for the socket i have within the component libraries.
    so i designed my own packages using package manager and my own footprints using pads designer. once i had all my footprints on the layout .brd file i just assumed that i could add nets and route them.

so if im understanding you its not possible within the layout to add nets. because it is a schematic from design entry flow.

so if i create symbol/device within the package editor with the associated desired footprints etc. will this now be added to a component library within the schematic editor DE HDL i.e. place components.

that way i could use the proper flow. the real problem is i had to make the package for my socket myself. all other components i could source from the component library.

Thanks for all the help its much appreciated.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by FrancisFogarty at 19 Feb 2013 03:42 AM. Topic has 4 replies.