Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Copying vias

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Copying vias 

Last post Thu, Jan 31 2013 8:54 AM by TH Designs. 6 replies.
Started by TH Designs 29 Jan 2013 11:51 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 862 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jan 29 2013 11:51 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Copying vias Reply

I recently did a job where I had an area of copper and used the copy command to copy a via to create a small area with multiple vias to the plane below. Very neat and useful feature. A lot easier then the "free vias" in Layout.

I'm working a new board and am attempting to do the same thing, but when I go to place the via I just copied, I can't place it anywhere but on top of the via I am copying. Example, I have a via in a small copper area on the top layer. I want to add three more vias to connect this small area to a larger inner layer trace. When I select copy and the via I want to copy (retain net on), the via attaches to my cursor and I can move it around, but when I go to place it, it jumps back to the original via and places the new one on top of the original one.

I'm doing exactly what I had done (famous last words....) on the previous board which worked like a charm.

Thoughts?

Tom

• Post Points: 50
  • Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:12 PM

Re: Copying vias Reply

Are you trying to copy it onto a pad?  Ex/ thermal pad?

I think when I tried to do that it always went to the center. 

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:19 PM

I don't have an easy way to test this theory before sharing it.  Usually, layout software allows you to add "redundant" or "stitching" vias to fills, but not to SMT pads.  Would that be the difference between both designs?

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 2:17 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,060
    • Points 17,150

Make sure your origin point is set correctly, If it's set to user pick then you may not be getting what you think - just a thought.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:54 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

I'll try to summarize answers to all suggestions......

I am not trying to add these vias to and existing component pad. I have made a copper shape on an outer layer, assigned it to a net and need to tie it to an internal trace using multiple vias due to the current the net needs to carry. I route the trace on the inner layer and insert a via to connect it to the shape on the outer layer. I then try to copy this via and place several inside the shape connecting the shape to the inner trace. I can select the via, it attaches to my cursor, but wherever I try to place it, it always "snaps" (clue?) back to the original via location and puts the via there. I can then move that via where I want without issue.

I have tried the different "pick" options and none seem to make a difference..

To make things more interesting, there are several locations on the board where I need to do this and in two of the locations, I can copy and place the via wherever I want. In the remaining locations I can't place the via anywhere other then the original pick location.

I checked the parameters for each shape and they are all the same. Why will it work in some locations and not in others? I have not figured that out yet............. For now I just moved a via off of the "stack" and place it where I need using the "move via" command.

Tom

• Thu, Jan 31 2013 7:36 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,060
    • Points 17,150

Tom - There seems to be a change in behaviour between 16.6 and 16.5 about how this works (and has been reported to Cadence to investigate). What you can do that will work is:-

Hover over the via - RMB - Copy then put the mouse where you want the via and use RMB - Snap Pick to - Grid Point. This should get you going again...

• Thu, Jan 31 2013 8:54 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Wow, funny you mention 16.5. The last board I did this on was updated mid stream to 16.6 (which I hate doing in the middle of a job). I needed to upgrade to the professional version to get the autoplace testpoint feature. But..... the via copying I did was prior to the update.

I'll try the RMB suggestion.

Thanks,

Tom

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 29 Jan 2013 11:51 AM. Topic has 6 replies.