Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Preferred Method to Indicate Non-Populated Components

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Preferred Method to Indicate Non-Populated Components 

Last post Fri, Feb 8 2013 8:01 PM by ScottCad. 6 replies.
Started by David Yackman 29 Jan 2013 07:02 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 1852 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jan 29 2013 7:02 AM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 18 2012
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805
    Preferred Method to Indicate Non-Populated Components Reply

What is the preferred method for indicating components that aren't populated in OrCAD Capture 16.6?  Do I just simply add text next to the schematic symbol that says "Do Not Populate", or is there something in the property editor that I can add or change so that the component shows that it shouldn't be populated when I generate the BOM? 

I can manually make the changes to the bill of materials as well as the schematic, I was just wondering if there was some feature of OrCAD that could handle this for me.

• Post Points: 50
  • Tue, Jan 29 2013 11:39 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Re: Preferred Method to Indicate Non-Populated Components Reply

I usually just put OPEN in the part value. When you run the BOM you will have all of the unpopulated part references listed under OPEN.

I have another customer that likes to have a dashed box put around the part with DNI insode the box. This maintains the part value on the schematic, but you can't tell it is a "Do Not Install" when you run the BOM.

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:26 PM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 18 2012
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805

Ah.  OK, thanks, Tom.  Well, I made a few copies of the DSN file, labeled the components that aren't populated with DNP (Do Not Populate), and then made copies of the BOM and made the changes to the individual BOMs.

I was thinking that there might have been a more streamlined way to do this in OrCAD. If anybody has any more suggestions or methods for doing this, let me know.

• Tue, Jan 29 2013 2:26 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,155
    The "streamlined" approach is to use the CIS Option, it supports BOM Variants, you have a "core design" of "everything" and the BOM Variants where parts are the same as the core design, not fitted, or fitted with a different value from the core design - the CIS reporting supports the generation of BOM reports for the variants.
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Jan 31 2013 12:18 PM

• BuddSw
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, May 12 2011
    • Posts 35
    • Points 500

I use a slighty more cumbersome system but it supports certain MIL requirements I have had to comply with in the past.

I add a delta note (or flag note or whatever you want to call it) that states: INDICATED COMPONENTS NOT INSTALLED.   I then place the delta note call-out next to each component not to be installed.  I work with some engineers who want this flexibility in their designs and this seems to satisfy both the engineering and manufacturing sides of the various companies I have worked for.  The down side is that you do have to manually remove the components from the BOM to start with.  The up side is that it is just simple editing of the note text on the schematic and updating the BOM via am ECN.

• Mon, Feb 4 2013 10:15 AM

• Wild
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 9 2008
    • Reading, PA
    • Posts 43
    • Points 500

My KISS method:

Add a feild called note

In the "Note" feild place the text DNP.

Display the value only of the note feild

Add this feild to the BOM output.

Results:

Move part, the DNP follows the part.  In a Hierachical drawing, you can populate or blank this feild out per occerance....

• Fri, Feb 8 2013 8:01 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775

Typically I  just enter N.U.T.A for the part value which means "Not Used This Assembly" When you generate the bom the N.U.T.A stands out pretty good.

Thanks Scott

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by David Yackman at 29 Jan 2013 07:02 AM. Topic has 6 replies.