Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Stacked Via Constraint Control (Performance L Option)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Stacked Via Constraint Control (Performance L Option) 

Last post Fri, Jan 11 2013 10:07 AM by Boma. 5 replies.
Started by CCR77 10 Jan 2013 03:59 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 1028 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jan 10 2013 3:59 PM

• CCR77
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 29 2013
    • Redmond, WA
    • Posts 0
    • Points 690
    Stacked Via Constraint Control (Performance L Option) Reply

Hello,

I am currently working on a design that shall utilize stacked micro vias from 1 to 4 with a buried mechanical from 4 to 5 followed by stacked micro vias from 5 to 8.  We cannot stack on the buried mechanical from Layer 4 to 5 and the micro's must be offset from it.  Is it possible to adjust the constraint manager to allow the micro's to be stacked and only apply the offset to the mechanical with the Performance L Option? 

When I adjust the Min BB Via stagger value it applies the offset to the entire stack.  When I created the padstacks for the vias I checked the radio button for Micro Via's and did not for the burried mechanical. I was hoping this was a flag to the CM but I assume it is not. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Clint 

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jan 11 2013 4:31 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,246
    • Points 20,245
    Re: Stacked Via Constraint Control (Performance L Option) Reply

The microvia checkbox in Pad Designer creates a new via type in constraint manager called microvia which you can them set different rules to bbvias, vias etc. You need the Miniaturization option for 16.5 and 16.6 or XL version for 16.2, 16.3 to get this extra added via domain which gives you full HDI functionality. Without this option they are just bbvias and you may struggle to define the required rules..

• Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:12 AM

• CCR77
    • Not Ranked
    • Redmond, WA
    • Posts 0
    • Points 690

Hi Steve,

Thanks for following up.  This will be painful.  I guess I will need to come up with a work around.

Thanks again!

Clint

• Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:36 AM

• Boma
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 4 2008
    • Posts 37
    • Points 515

Clint,

Will this be painful only because you don't have the necessary licenses?  If not, it is very easy.  Once you set the switch to Microvia in the padstack editor, it seperates those vias from bbvias.  Then you just change the pad-pad-connect setting in the Physical section of the Constraint Manager to microvia to microvia coincident only. This allows microvias to be stacked but not to bbvia.  We do this all the time.

It is easy.....trust me...;-)

Boma 

• Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:44 AM

• CCR77
    • Not Ranked
    • Redmond, WA
    • Posts 0
    • Points 690

Hi Boma,

You are correct.  My team purchased performance L licenses, however I have access to XL licenses if they are not needed by another group.  I quickly tested with XL and it works as you suggested, the issue is that I dont have priority with the XL editor and could be requested to drop it any time....  :(

Thanks,

Clint   

• Fri, Jan 11 2013 10:07 AM

• Boma
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 4 2008
    • Posts 37
    • Points 515
    Clint, If you are going to be doing more of these designs you will have to have the license...Period. I agree that it would be painful to work this way. Good luck.... Boma
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by CCR77 at 10 Jan 2013 03:59 PM. Topic has 5 replies.