Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Autosilk

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Autosilk 

Last post Thu, Jan 10 2013 4:30 AM by oldmouldy. 5 replies.
Started by TH Designs 09 Jan 2013 05:07 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 798 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 5:07 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Autosilk Reply

Will Autosilk work for the Assy ref des? I have all of the top/bot ref des silk placed where I want it. Now I just want to clean up the assy top/bot silk without having to manually move the ref des on those layers for all 600 parts (like I did for the top/bot).

Silly question, why doesn't the assy layer ref des position follow the top/bot ref des position?

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 5:18 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,555
    Re: Autosilk Reply
    No, it works on the SilkScreen / Layer(s). There are three default classes for the RefDes, these are Assembly, Silkscreen, Display, you only need one of them but they can be in different locations by design, some folks like / need that. IF the Silkscreen RefDes is in the required location, why not output that to the "Assembly" rather than repeat the work? PCB Editor won't care which Class and Subclasses you mix together for output.
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 5:45 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    On the top/bottom silk there are several few dense areas where the ref des silk will just not fit so it has been removed in those locations. The thought was to use the assy top/bot silk as a foundation for making an assy dwg. But when I took a look at the assy ref des layers, the text is all over the place. I don't relish having to manually move over 600 (again) ref des for the assy layers.
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 8:22 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,555
    Get the Silk details that you want for the assembly displayed, don't display anything else. From the menu, File>Export>Sub-Drawing, check the Find Filter just has Text selcted (and lines, if required), window select all the items in the design canvas and specify an origin - you could specify "x 0 0" at the command line for 0,0 - name the CLP file generated. Go to Setup>Subclasses, pick a class, like Manufacturing, and add a new subclass, like AssyRefs. Open the CLP file generated with a Text Editor, locate some RefDes items to see the Class / SubClass, likely REFDES/SILKSCREEN_TOP for example, use the Replace text function to replace the REFDES/SILKSCREEN_TOP values with MANUFACTURING/ASSYREFS (whatever you called the new subclass), repeat this for any lines as well. Back in PCB Editor, File>Import>Sub-Drawing, pick the CLP file and specify the origin, it's easier if you used 0,0 previously because you can type "x 0 0" at the command line again to get the exact location! The subdrawing data will now be imported to your new layer. You probably want to try this with a copy of the data initially.
  • Wed, Jan 9 2013 9:52 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Thank OM for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

Reading through it it sounds like it will allow me to somewhat combine what I would like to do with what I was trying to do. I experiment with it later today (on a test file, of course..........)

Tom

• Thu, Jan 10 2013 4:30 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,555
    If you are running 16.6, you can likely create a new subclass for, say RefDes / AssyRefs_Top, and use Edit>Change, in Options, set the "New Subclass" for your new class / subclass and select the items. 16.6 is a lot less picky about "what" can be copied to "what" than previous versions of PCB Editor. (This will avoid hacking the CLP file!)
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 09 Jan 2013 05:07 AM. Topic has 5 replies.