Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Ratsnest color defaulting when dehighlighting

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Ratsnest color defaulting when dehighlighting 

Last post Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:00 AM by TH Designs. 2 replies.
Started by TH Designs 02 Jan 2013 08:36 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 591 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:36 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Ratsnest color defaulting when dehighlighting Reply

This drove me crazy for a bit until I found out what was happening.

I set my ratsnest colors for a few specific nets to colors I wanted. Every now and then I would notice they had changed back to the default color. I noticed that it was happening after I was using the "highlight" command to cross probe with Capture while placing components (functionality of this leaves a LOT to be desired........ but that is for another post). In order to clear the highlighted parts "clutter" (since picking another part does not dehighlight the previous part) I would click "Dehighlight" then select "All". This would clear previously highlighted parts, but also remove the colors I had assigned to specific rats.

Why??

Is this a bug or me............. again.............?

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 1:40 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,162
    • Points 18,880
    Re: Ratsnest color defaulting when dehighlighting Reply

Tom - Dehighlight will dehighlight any object that is highlighted plus remove any overriding colors (This is made via Assign Color). That's just the way it works.

You could though when using cross probe etc go from schematic to pcb. This way when you select a part in the schematic it will temporary highlight the part in the pcb. To deselect just LMB (left mouse button) in a blank space in the board. This way you will not need to use the dehighlight command. If you cross probe from PCB to Schematic you must be in either Highlight or Assign Color to seelct in the PCB. Hope that helps.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:00 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Re: Ratsnest color defaulting when dehighlighting Reply
    steve:

Tom - Dehighlight will dehighlight any object that is highlighted plus remove any overriding colors (This is made via Assign Color). That's just the way it works.

You could though when using cross probe etc go from schematic to pcb. This way when you select a part in the schematic it will temporary highlight the part in the pcb. To deselect just LMB (left mouse button) in a blank space in the board. This way you will not need to use the dehighlight command. If you cross probe from PCB to Schematic you must be in either Highlight or Assign Color to seelct in the PCB. Hope that helps.

Hi Steve,

I took a look at this "dehighlight" issue a bit more and noticed that when you select dehighlight, the window that comes up has a little check box called "retain objects custom color". Selecting this will keep any user set custom colors when using "dehighlight - all". The rats colors I set are no longer changed when this box is checked.

As far as cross probing goes, I have been using the "place from schematic" method for placing parts, but there are many times when I like to select an already placed part to see where it is in the design. Some of the designs I work with have 20 or more sheets of schematic and would be a lot easier to just pick the part on the board rather then go into Capture and do a find. I relied heavily on how the cross probe feature used to work. I have adjusted to how it works now, but, for me, it is a lot less effecient.

Tom 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 02 Jan 2013 08:36 AM. Topic has 2 replies.