Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > OrCAD PCB Editor 16.6 Error

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

OrCAD PCB Editor 16.6 Error 

Last post Thu, Jan 3 2013 7:06 AM by TH Designs. 13 replies.
Started by David Yackman 02 Jan 2013 08:32 AM. Topic has 13 replies and 3822 views
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:32 AM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 18 2012
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805
    OrCAD PCB Editor 16.6 Error Reply

I was just curious if anybody has run into this yet.  I installed the 16.6 upgrade last week, and it seemed to work just fine.  This morning, when I tried to double-click a board (.brd) file to make some edits, I got an error message that says "The program can't start because cdn_xerces-c_2_7.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."  But, if I open up OrCAD PCB Editor and then click "File" and "Open" and then browse to the file it will open it that way. It didn't do this to me last week when I first installed the upgrade.  Right now, all of my existing board files were generated using the previous 16.5 version of software.

Has anybody else had this problem? 

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:41 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Re: OrCAD PCB Editor 16.6 Error Reply

Hi Dave,

Sounds like your Windows path for the .brd extension is still pointing to the 16.5 application.

Tom

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:20 AM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805
    Thanks, Tom.  Wouldn't happen to know how to fix it, would ya?   I've left a message for tech support, but I haven't heard back from them yet...  If they come back with a solution, I will post it here.
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:45 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

You need to find the Windows configuration settings for file association. In older versions of Windows it was under Control Panle, File / Folder settings I believe. The extension ".brd" would have a path associated to it which is probably still pointing to the 16.5 executable.

Tom

Update: Look here: Control Panel, Default Programs - Set Associations

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:47 AM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 298
    • Points 4,735

You may have assigned the brd to program association manually.

You should use the switchversion program (in the Cadence Start menu) to assign the association. This way as you switch between releases the association will automatically also switch

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 12:23 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

You can switch between 16.5 and 16.6?

I thought the switch release was only to go back to 16.2.

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 12:33 PM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 298
    • Points 4,735

The switchversion tool allows you to toggle between any installed Cadence Allegro or OrCAD release.

As of some 16.x, release it also supports the option of associating Cadence programs with file extensions. Unlike doing the file associations via the manual method, it assigns the associations using the Cadence <cdsroot> variable. This means as you switch between releases the file associations will launch the correct version of the Cadence programs and you won't see dll errors. 

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 12:48 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Good to know.

Looks like the Phils will win a game before the Eagles do......................... This was true back in October also.

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:05 PM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805
    OK, got it figured out.  The switch tool didn't make a difference in anything.  The only way to correct this in Windows 7 is to delete the default registry data in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for the brd class, then make sure the correct path for the board is reselected and added again in the switch tool file association tab, because deleting the registry info deletes it from the tool.  Then, you have to go to control panel, default programs, file associations and select the correct Allegro program.  My computer showed 2.  The icons are identical, and no version information is supplied.  So, you just have to guess which one is the right one.  It works now.  The switch tool alone wouldn't fix the issue on my PC and it may be different on yours; this is just what I had to do to make it work on mine.
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:07 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    What a way to spend your day............. Glad you got it sorted out.
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:11 PM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805

Yeah, now that it's 4 PM, I'll quit playing IT guy and start editing some boards!  LOL 

Thanks, everybody. 

• Thu, Jan 3 2013 1:36 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,446
    • Points 24,610
    As fxffxf says, "you gotta use the File Associations in the Switch Release program". Microsoft changed the way that File Associations worked in Vista, there are "System" File Associations and "User" File Associations. Since there are two possible settings the "wrong" one will always be chosen, actually "User" wins and this is set from Default Programs which sets Product Specific File Association - it links directly to the program location. The Switch Release File Associations are NOT Product Specific. The correct repair is to get an "unassociate" utility for Windows Vista / 7, these are easily found on the internet, remove all the File Associations and the set the required File Association from the Switch Release program, these use a %CDSROOT% based program location so the File Association will correctly switch when the Switch Release changes the product installation base setting (CDSROOT in the environment)
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:37 AM

• David Yackman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Lawrenceville, GA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 805

It would've been great for the 16.6 upgrade to configure itself to just work properly without its end users having to go through all of the hocus pocus.  I don't really understand the need to switch between versions, either.  Ideally, all of the new versions should be backwards-compatible.  I know from my limited experience with OrCAD that this probably isn't the case, hence the need to switch versions.  Since my company started using OrCAD recently starting with v16.5, hopefully, I won't run into the need to switch versions often.

I have learned never to download an ISR or upgrade of any kind while I have current projects that I'm working on, because the chances are pretty good that the new software will cause an error that will stop my work in its tracks. I waited until the day before new year's weekend to install the 16.6 upgrade for just this reason. I figured that if I ran into a problem with it on Friday afternoon, I'd have the long weekend to fix it. As it turned out, it worked just fine on Friday.  I was relieved!  But, Wednesday morning, I started gettting the *.dll error, which led me here.  Tech support didn't have the answer.  I figured out to delete the registry data for brd files myself.  It might have been the "dirty" way to get it done, but it worked. This time.  Next time, I may have to download one of those "unassociate" utilities that oldmouldy suggested.  

I know that many of my problems with OrCAD are due to my position on the learning curve; I have a lot to learn.  However, I think that much can be done to make the installation and implementation of ISRs and upgrades more seamless and user-friendly.

• Thu, Jan 3 2013 7:06 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

David,

I have been using Orcad products for over 25 years and have had installation issues with just about every release / upgrade. But I muddle through, figure it out, gripe, complain and move on........

I have not  installed 16.6 at my home office yet because I'm in the middle of a big job there and can't afford any down time. But, that being said, I have migrated to 16.6 at a different work location and I did not have any issues other then one environment issue that I was able to quickly resolve.

I do like some of the new 16.6 features and I'm actually looking forward to upgrading at my office once I get some down time.

Tom

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by David Yackman at 02 Jan 2013 08:32 AM. Topic has 13 replies.