Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Layer palette and Edit Property form

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Layer palette and Edit Property form 

Last post Fri, Dec 21 2012 9:17 AM by Andrew Beckett. 1 replies.
Started by dmay 18 Dec 2012 03:15 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 625 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:15 PM

• dmay
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 394
    • Points 7,420
    Layer palette and Edit Property form Reply

We have a lot of layers in our technology file, so anytime we need to edit properties on a shape, we need to reduce the number of valid layers so that the layer cyclic field is not too big. In 5.1.41, we have a utility to reduce the number of valid layers to only those layers used in your layout. In 6.1.5, we found the great "Used Layers Only" button in the layer palette. This feature is much nicer than our old code since it dynamically updates the layer palette as you add or remove layers from your layout. The problem, however, is that the "Used Layers Only" works as a filter on valid layers. It will only show "used" and "valid" layers. If some layers are used in the layout, but have been set invalid, they will not show up in the palette. To get around this, we set all layers valid and the filter works great. The problem is that the Edit Property form now shows ALL valid layers which don't even fit on our screen.

So I have a couple of questions:
    1. Why doesn't the Edit Property form's layer field use the "Used Layers Only" filter?
    2. What is the validLppFilterOn layout environment variable supposed to do? I can't see any difference whether I set it to t or nil.

I did discover the "Layer Filter" field on the Edit Property form, and this is great. I just think it would be nicer if the palette matched the cyclic field.

Derek

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Dec 21 2012 9:17 AM

Re: Layer palette and Edit Property form Reply

Derek,

It's like that because it was not coded that way (originally).

However, there's an option (as part of an early-access capability where some new features are made available early to certain "back to basics" partners) to turn on filtering based on the LPPs shown in the panel (it's on the Editor Options form, and is controlled via the cdsenv you mentioned); when you turn this on it does exactly what you're after. But unfortunately you won't see that option on the form, and the cdsenv will be ignored unless you're one of these partners.

I can't reveal how to enable it here, because the intention is that some of these new features are liable to change as we get feedback from our partners, and partners sign up under that understanding.

Please talk to your account team if you're interested in the "Back to Basics" program.

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by dmay at 18 Dec 2012 03:15 PM. Topic has 1 replies.