Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Footprints

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Footprints 

Last post Tue, Dec 18 2012 7:02 AM by TH Designs. 1 replies.
Started by DanDD 18 Dec 2012 04:17 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 530 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Dec 18 2012 4:17 AM

• DanDD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Footprints Reply

Hi,

I’m beginner in PCB design actually in electronics. My question is about a capacitors and resistors. If I would like to alter the footprint of a capacitor in PCB layout from 8080 to 0603 (for example), dose the circuit function will affected? what are the main things that I must consider or keep in mind?

Note: the value of the value of the capacitance and resistant is the same I just change the footprint. 

As you see from my question I’m beginner J any help will really appreciated.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Dec 18 2012 7:02 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Re: Footprints Reply

Resistor and capacitor footprint sizes are most often dictated by the circuit design requirements for power and voltage. I would consult with your design engineer before making any footprint size changes.

Changing that .01uf capacitor from a 1206 to a 0402 may seem like a good thing to do from a pcb design perspective, but that size change could be taking a 600 volt rated part down to a 50 volt rated part and that would not be a good thing if the circuit required a 600 volt part.

If the person designing the PCB is NOT the same person that designed the circuit, the pcb designer must consult with the circuit designer before making any changes.

I had a designer one time make some changes to a circuit design I did because it "made routing easier". Needless to say, he had to redo the board which wasted a lot of time and money.

Tom

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by DanDD at 18 Dec 2012 04:17 AM. Topic has 1 replies.