Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > PCB bus bar

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

PCB bus bar 

Last post Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:39 PM by eDave. 5 replies.
Started by TH Designs 10 Dec 2012 08:44 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1015 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 8:44 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    PCB bus bar Reply

I want to make a symbol for a bus bar that I will use for an upcoming project. Will the following approach work?

What I want to make is a copper strip approx 6.5" long x 0.5" wide that includes 96, 0.040" dia plated holes on a 0.1" x 0.2" spacing grid.

The copper is to be on each layer (for now assume 6 layers) and the holes are to be plated thru and flooded to each layer.

In the symbol editor, I have made the array of holes and put a static solid filled shape around them on each layer. Each hole shows a "pad to shape" DRC which I would expect at this point. When I bring this symbol into the board and edit the shape to attach it to the net, will these DRC's go away? I woud expect to have to assign the net to each layer shape... Correct?

Will this approach work, or am I dreaming......................

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 11:54 AM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 13 2008
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 714
    • Points 15,505
    Re: PCB bus bar Reply
    Why not just make it a single through pin with top, bottom and internal pads and a hole array?
    Dave Elder, Tait Communications
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:23 PM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Dave,

Not quite sure where you are going with that. I'd like to make it a library symbol so I can easily reuse it. I have been playing with it most of the day and I am really not making any progress.

I have used the pad array generator to get the 96 holes. Then put a filled shape over the hole area. When I bring this symbol into a board, edit the shape to assign a net to it, all of the holes show drc's and do not connect to the shape electrically.

I'm really considering just making a Captur part with 96 pins, tying them all together and then to the net desired. I can add a new sheet to the schematic just for these parts. Then the whole mess will be netlist driven and the symbol should connect. It just makes the schematic one sheet longer.

I knew exactly how to make this happen in the old version (Layout)................

Tom

• Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:33 PM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 4 2011
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965

Tom,

I think what Dave was getting at was to make a "one pin" symbol.  Then define a padstack for the one pin that is your 6" pad on all layers. Then get your 96 vias using the hole arrray multi-dril feature in the padstack designer.   Think that's what I would try, except for the other posting here regarding the multi-drill and offset problems - -

Luck - -

Roger

Roger Green - B F Systems, LLC
    • Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:33 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 714
    • Points 15,505

Hi Tom,

You can do this as a library symbol with a single pin, you shouldn't need a shape (and, as you have discovered, that won't work very well. Add a through pin 6.5" x 0.5" and use the  Multiple drill feature (see attached)

Dave 

• Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:39 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 714
    • Points 15,505

Hmmm. Rows and colmns appear to be limited to 10 x 10. You may need to consider adding the majority of holes as vias.

Dave 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 10 Dec 2012 08:44 AM. Topic has 5 replies.