Home > Community > Forums > Cadence Academic Network > Why is E-Mosfet Not Going into Saturation With Drain Current?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Why is E-Mosfet Not Going into Saturation With Drain Current? 

Last post Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:09 AM by oldmouldy. 1 replies.
Started by Shiraz 01 Dec 2012 07:23 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 615 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:23 AM

• Shiraz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 23 2012
    • Posts 15
    • Points 195
    Why is E-Mosfet Not Going into Saturation With Drain Current? Reply

Ok I am assuming that if you force an appropriate drain current into an e-mosfet it should go into saturation (Vgs becomes greater than Vt ).

Here is the simple archived project : https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwG45lg3wcwnU3ZDQ3NtNjZCM2s

If I force a drain current into an n channel mosfet which forces the mosfet into saturation I should NOT have to bias the mosfet further right ? YET I have to do this here where I supply a dc voltage and get an n channel mosfet into the saturation region (I have to figure out the bias voltage by observing the VTC traits (Vds vs Vgs graph)).

Then I give the right dc voltage to bias the amplifier in the right region. I am fairly new to CS amplifiers but my professor was surprised that it needed a bias voltage AND an active load.

p.s. the above project  :  Project_Working with 1000 Gain-Nov-30-2012.zip is a file that has the original circuit which gives an input signal of 1mv(peak) an amplification of 1000 (to bring it around 1V(peak)).

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:09 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,445
    • Points 24,590
    Re: Why is E-Mosfet Not Going into Saturation With Drain Current? Reply
    A MOSFET with a Vgs of 0 of not going to conduct worth a light. I doubt that the Saturation current of a Power MOSFET is going to be in the order of uA. See if that helps.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Shiraz at 01 Dec 2012 07:23 AM. Topic has 1 replies.