Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Adding "symbol" that is not in schematic

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Adding "symbol" that is not in schematic 

Last post Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:02 PM by ScottCad. 7 replies.
Started by TH Designs 29 Nov 2012 10:37 AM. Topic has 7 replies and 1004 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:37 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Adding "symbol" that is not in schematic Reply

I made a mechanical symbol to represent a daughter board that will mount to my board. Simple rectangle with four mounting holes.

How do I get this symbol onto the circuit board? I have been through all of the menus in Editor and can't find anything that will allow me to bring a mechanical symbol into the board.

Tom

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:47 AM

• budnoel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 12 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 129
    • Points 2,100
    Re: Adding "symbol" that is not in schematic Reply

You need to set your psm path preference to look at the folder containing both the .dra and the .psm  This is under Setup - User Preferences - Paths - Library - psmpath   Add the folder containing the .dra and .psm to the list of paths.  You can then use Place - Manually - Mechanical Symbols to add the symbol.  You may have to go into "Advanced Settings" and select "Library" under "List construction" first. 

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 10:54 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

The paths are set. When I go to "place / manually" the window that comes up does not give me any option to load a symbol. Just shows the Active Class / Subclass selections. Tried all three modes.

One thing I did try was to assign the symbol to a dummy part I placed in Capture and load a new netlist. The selection to place the new part comes up when I invoke  Place / Manually, but when selected I get an error that says it could not find the symbol. I know the sysmbol is there and it is located in the directory that Editor is pointing to (which is where all of the other parts on the board came from).

If it comes down to it I can just place the four mounting holes and draw a box around them, but I was hoping I could place this as a symbol to make it easier to move around the board as one entity.

Tom

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:17 AM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 25 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775

Tom, if your .dra mechanical symbol is in your paths to your other symbols give this a try.

Place Manually > Advanced Settings Uncheck Database and check Library. Keep the window open and click on the Placement List Tab and then choose the drop-down list for your symbol type.

Did that work for you ?

Thanks Scott.

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:17 AM

• budnoel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 12 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 129
    • Points 2,100

Place - Manually should display a menu that has two tabs - Placement List and Advanced Settings.  This is the Place - Manually menu pick.  As I mentioned you may need to choose the "Advanced Settings" and ensure "Library" is selected.  It doesn't sound like we are talking about the same picks.

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:27 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    I have no such window. I even see it referenced in the books I have here. I must be doing something wrong. Time to back away from the computer....................
  • Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:33 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370

Before I walked away from the computer, I minimized the main Editor window. You'll never guess what was lurking behind it.............. The place / manual window with the placement list and advanced settings tabs.

Did what Scott suggested and selected library instead of database and here come all of my mechanical symbols. Selected the one I wanted and it is now on the board.

Blood pressure returning to normal......... Forging ahead.............

Thanks guys

Tom

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:02 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 25 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775

AH HA, it was hiding in plain sight : )

Glad it worked out for you

Thanks Scott

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by TH Designs at 29 Nov 2012 10:37 AM. Topic has 7 replies.