Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Paths to Symbols & Pads go back to defaults between designs wierdness.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Paths to Symbols & Pads go back to defaults between designs wierdness. 

Last post Fri, Nov 23 2012 1:24 PM by ScottCad. 2 replies.
Started by ScottCad 22 Nov 2012 08:51 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 606 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Nov 22 2012 8:51 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775
    Paths to Symbols & Pads go back to defaults between designs wierdness. Reply

I am seeing some strange issues in 16.5 with symbol & pads paths. When I create a new board I have to go in to the user preferences\Paths \Library each time to edit where I want Allegro to pull pads and symbols from. The issue is that the env file seems to get over written between designs with the cadence defaults for library locations. If I edit the locations they get written to the env file and everything works good. If I make the env file "Read Only" my paths to symbols and pads do not get blown out between designs.

I am using a folder called c:\Allegro_Libs and under that folder there are sub folders for both symbols and padstacks. I also notice that I have to put the actual sub folder path in the "PSMPath" otherwise Allegro wont see the libs. It appears that the program does not traverse sub folders relative to the root folder path, is this correct ?

I prefer to use a folder that is not in the cadence sub folder path for my libs etc as it is easier to maintain.

Thanks Scott    

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 23 2012 12:56 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,185
    Re: Paths to Symbols & Pads go back to defaults between designs wierdness. Reply
    Perfectly reasonable, there is no requirement to have "any" of the default library paths configured BUT there is an issue of you set the "padpath" and "psmpath" as a "Favorite", reported bug - if you remove the "Favorite" for the "padpath" and "psmpath" the settings will be configured correctly and stored in the environment settings for your installation.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 23 2012 1:24 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775
    Re: Paths to Symbols & Pads go back to defaults between designs wierdness. Reply

HI Om, I gave your suggestion a try and I did indeed have the setting configured as a favorite but the problem remains. I  start a new board and "Puff" paths to pads and symbols get blown  away and replaced with system defaults.

I can get around this by making the env file "Read Only" after I have made my changes to it. That seems to work fine.

The other thing I noticed as mentioned earlier is that Allegro does not seem able to traverse paths to sub folders of where a user may have their libraries. For example assume I have a path to my library folder called

c:\my-libs

and under my-libs is a folder called SMD that contains more symbols.  If I do not create a path called c:\my-libs\smd in the pmspath setting Allegro will never see those symbols. This creates a whole can of worms in particular when you go to package up a design.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, not too sure. Seems really odd that the software does not look beyond the exact path one would give it.... i.e look for sub-folders.

Thanks Scott

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 22 Nov 2012 08:51 PM. Topic has 2 replies.