Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > About Schematic and footprints in orcad..

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

About Schematic and footprints in orcad.. 

Last post Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:00 PM by vincentronel. 3 replies.
Started by Wonderman 19 Nov 2012 02:05 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 1768 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Nov 19 2012 2:05 AM

• Wonderman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 19 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140
    About Schematic and footprints in orcad.. Reply

hi everyone,

I am new to orcad. I am designing a PCB using orcad. I put all the components in the schematic and make the connections and I create a netlist and hence the footprint.

The questions are,

1) If I change any connection or component in the footprint then it should show the error indicating that it is not in schematic.

2) Some times i may forget some connections in the schematic. In such case if I add any new connection in the footprint then it should be applied to the schematic.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Nov 19 2012 2:42 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,454
    • Points 24,710
    Re: About Schematic and footprints in orcad.. Answer Reply
    Not really because the connections and footprints are, by and large, driven from the Schematic. IF you have enabled Pin swapping, you will be able to swap pins on a device, you will be able to swap the "sections" ("Functions") of Homogeneous parts, and you can Back Annotate these changes. But you won't be able to fundamentally change a footprint name or the connectivity defined in the netlist.
  • Mon, Nov 19 2012 3:18 AM

• Wonderman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 19 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140
    Re: About Schematic and footprints in orcad.. Reply

Thank you for quick reply, but since i am new to orcad I had put the wrong question. So once again I have put the question with the correction, Please reply....

I am designing a PCB using orcad. I put all the components in the schematic and make the connections and I create a netlist and hence the layout.

The questions are,

1) If I change any connection or component in the layout then it should show the error indicating that it is not in schematic.

2) Some times i may forget some connections in the schematic. In such case if I add any new connection in the layout then it should be applied to the schematic.

• Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:00 PM

• vincentronel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 6 2012
    • Muntinlupa City, Philippines
    • Posts 5
    • Points 255
    Re: About Schematic and footprints in orcad.. Reply

Hi Wonderwoman, For your question 1: It's simple to detect in schematic the changes you made in your layout. First thing you do is to go back to your shecmatics HDL. Under FILE click IMPORT PHYSICAL. At the top of the pop up window check GENERATE FEEDBACK FILES. And then BROWSE for your board file that has changes in your nets.. then just click OK AND YOUR GOOD TO GO.. just click ok again if something pops up.. A NOTE will apear this is the FEEDBACK REPORT, SCROLL DOWN AND YOU WILL SEE DIFFERENCES EXAMPLE AS BELOW:

#2 WARNING(2019): Connectivity has changed between the design and feedback. Feedback changes to PN for this instance have been ignored. Design instance: @PDB_LIB.MAIN(SCH_1):PAGE5_I41@IC.MIC68400YML_TR_16PI~ N_NON_INTEL(CHIPS) #3 WARNING(2019): Connectivity has changed between the design and feedback. Feedback changes to PN for this instance have been ignored. Design instance: @PDB_LIB.MAIN(SCH_1):PAGE5_I39@RESISTOR.RESISTOR_SMD_~ NON_INTEL(CHIPS) #4 WARNING(2005): Instance has been added to the design. Design instance: @PDB_LIB.MAIN(SCH_1):PAGE1_I109@CONNECTOR_HEADER.POWE~ R_CONN72PINS(CHIPS) #5 WARNING(2005): Instance has been added to the design. Design instance: @PDB_LIB.MAIN(SCH_1):PAGE2_I55@IC.MAX3088CSA_SOIC8_NO~ N_INTEL(CHIPS) #6 WARNING(2006): Feedback net has been deleted from the design. Physical net name: UNNAMED_5_MIC68400YMLTR16PINNON #7 WARNING(2007): Net has been added to the design. Net name: @PDB_LIB.MAIN(SCH_1):1235 Physical net name: 1235

hope it helps... :)

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Wonderman at 19 Nov 2012 02:05 AM. Topic has 3 replies.