Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > Macros Placement

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Macros Placement 

Last post Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:22 AM by IrfanD. 2 replies.
Started by IrfanD 15 Nov 2012 07:19 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 905 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:19 PM

• IrfanD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 15 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40
    Macros Placement Reply

Hi All,

I have a design with many ram macros. We have created special SITEs for these macros in the floorPlan DEF. SITES are in coulumns of two macros side by side.  The size of the the SITES is exactly same as the macros.  If I let encounter do the placement. It was  not honoring the SITE info for these macros and keep placing them all over.  Is this the right way to do  large number of macro placements??

Thanks,

Irfan

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:39 PM

• wally1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 4 2008
    • Bellevue, WA
    • Posts 151
    • Points 2,940
    Re: Macros Placement Reply

Hi Irfan,

SITEs are usually only intended for standard cells and IO pads. To place blocks you can use Relative Floorplanning which includes an option to create an array of blocks. Here's a solution with examples:

http://support.cadence.com/wps/mypoc/cos?uri=deeplinkmin:ViewSolution;solutionNumber=11649020

Or Floorplan Synthesis which is a more automated flow:

http://support.cadence.com/wps/mypoc/cos?uri=deeplinkmin:DocumentViewer;src=pubs
    ;q=soceUG/soceUG11.2/masterplan.html#1036843

Hope this helps.

Brian

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:22 AM

• IrfanD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 15 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40
    Re: Macros Placement Reply

Thanks Brian,

I will look into relative fllorplaning with array option doc. Right now online support is not working for us.  Meanwhile I did an experiment by chaning Macros to class CORE and was able to see them  placed at the correct SITEs.  Gert ( Cadence AE) did mention that its not a good idea going forward, macros should remain of class BLOCK. In out case power structure for these Macros is already available in a cover cell. 

Also floorplan synthesis will be good option for me to look into. I am thinking of running a floorplan sysnthesis and obtain optimum marco placement then write a script to place these macros at the closes available site. 

Thanks

Irfan

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by IrfanD at 15 Nov 2012 07:19 PM. Topic has 2 replies.