Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > off-grid vias

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

off-grid vias 

Last post Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:28 PM by oldmouldy. 3 replies.
Started by Rich103 09 Nov 2012 11:01 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 1015 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:01 AM

• Rich103
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 26 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85
    off-grid vias Reply
    I am using Orcad Layout 9.0 and am getting alot of off-grid via errors. I have changed the grid several times with no sucess. I am trying to route to a footprint that has 1mm pitch. Please advise.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:04 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,445
    • Points 24,590
    Re: off-grid vias Reply
    There is likely absolutely nothing that you can do about this, equally your fabricator is unlikely to care where the vias are since the manufacturing tools are going to use the absolute co-ordinates for the drill locations. Unless you have some routing conflicts as a result, it's very unlikely that your design won't work if off-grid vias are the only DRCs reported.
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:14 PM

• Rich103
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 26 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85
    You are correct. They are the only errors the DRC reports. However, I did change the via grid to 0 and it found no errors. I am having a problem now where a via I assigned to a ground copper pour is not showing a connection to it. I only have 1 via to choose from when I decide to make the connection. Any ideas?
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:28 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,445
    • Points 24,590

You could try deleting and re-adding the via. OrCAD Layout only allowed 16 vias to be defined, sounds like only one was defined to restrict routing vias to one definition.

OrCAD Layout 9.0 was supported on 95 / 98 and NT4 versions of Windows, and it's unlikey that you are still running a machine with those configurations so, unfortunately, should you press OK and the disk gets formatted as a consequence, nothing can be done about it. I suggest that you look into some more modern tools that will provide more functionality and reliability for your work.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Rich103 at 09 Nov 2012 11:01 AM. Topic has 3 replies.