Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > How to create an assembly drawing in PCB Designer 16.5

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to create an assembly drawing in PCB Designer 16.5 

Last post Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:15 PM by oldmouldy. 1 replies.
Started by mfris 09 Nov 2012 06:32 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 1460 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 6:32 AM

• mfris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 18 2012
    • Durham, NC
    • Posts 20
    • Points 440
    How to create an assembly drawing in PCB Designer 16.5 Reply

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to find some help on how to generate an assembly drawing using version 16.5 of PCB Designer.  I can see under Manufacture -> Variants there is a selection to create an assembly drawing, but when I try to use that function I get an response that says, " Variants file 'variants.lst' not found."

I don't have a variants.lst file because 1) I do not intend on having any variants for this design, and more importantly, 2) I don't know how to create a variants.lst file or the required format of such a file.  It appears I do not have a license for the Allegro Design Entry HDL variant editor, which I would apparently need to create a variants.lst file.

I've also tried turning off all details except for Board Outline, Package Geometry->Assembly, and RefDes->Assembly.  I've got several small parts placed close together, so I'm not sure how I can clearly associate the Ref Des with the part in many cases.

So, how do I create an assembly drawing?

Thanks guys.

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:15 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,454
    • Points 24,710
    Re: How to create an assembly drawing in PCB Designer 16.5 Reply

What format are you expecting to get the Assembly Drawing in? Printed: File>Plot set the printer for paper or PDF / XPS (whatever) for electronic output; Gerber: add a Film definition to Manufacture>Artwork, Film Control and output the data from there as Gerber.

You can move the text around on the Assembly layer(s), you can change the size of the Text Block for the Assembly RefDes, you can add lines to the design on the Assembly layer(s) between the RefDes and the referenced component, you can copy the Assembly data and move to an "off-board" location so that you can re-arrange the elements to clarify the detail, use balloons for details, and so on. There are a fair number of methods that could be used in this situation.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mfris at 09 Nov 2012 06:32 AM. Topic has 1 replies.