Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Uprev Old .tech file

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Uprev Old .tech file 

Last post Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:39 AM by oldmouldy. 1 replies.
Started by dschaefer 07 Nov 2012 08:09 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 533 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:09 AM

• dschaefer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 9 2009
    • Winnipeg, Manitoba
    • Posts 50
    • Points 835
    Uprev Old .tech file Reply

I am attempting to uprev an old .tech format file to import into SPB16.5 without success.

Has anyone been able to import the Cadence supplied tech_sample.tech into a .brd file in SPB16.5?

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:39 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,265
    • Points 21,620
    Re: Uprev Old .tech file Reply

In my "simple" view of the world, I don't think that "any" PCB Editor version could use the sample tech file because the "outer" layers are not called TOP and BOTTOM and the PCB outer layers cannot be renamed from the defaults. I believe that this could / would work for the Packaging tool, the units are Microns and rules are 25 / 75, that doesn't sound like a runner for typical PCB designs.

You could probably edit the example tech file to have the AIR from layer 4 as the surface (layer 0), then renumber the remaining layers, change the TOP_COND to TOP, BOT_COND to BOTTOM and the start removing / changing the physicalLayerGroup and spacingLayerGroup entries in the file to match the layers that remain. You may also need to check that the materials.dat includes entries to match the "layerMaterial" entries used. Rule names may have changed as well. Change the units and / or values for PCB and you might start getting somewhere. OR write a tech file from the required PCB version and write your settings to it - seems like that might be easier...

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by dschaefer at 07 Nov 2012 08:09 AM. Topic has 1 replies.