Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Creating a microvia with Pad_Designer 16.5

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Creating a microvia with Pad_Designer 16.5 

Last post Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:55 PM by vincentronel. 5 replies.
Started by mfris 05 Nov 2012 10:20 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1341 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:20 AM

• mfris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 18 2012
    • Durham, NC
    • Posts 20
    • Points 440
    Creating a microvia with Pad_Designer 16.5 Reply

Hi everyone,

I have a .4mm pitch BGA that will be included on my next design, so I'd like to get set up to use microvias.  I thought I could edit the dimensions of an existing thru via to make it a microvia in Pad Designer, but under Parameters/Usage options in Pad Designer, the Microvia option is greyed out.

Am I trying to do this the wrong/hard way?  For what it's worth, I'd like to make a 10mil pad with a 4 mil drill for my microvia.

Maybe a better way to ask the question: How do I make a microvia padstack in PCB Designer 16.5?

Thanks in advance for any help.  Best Regards.

Filed under: , ,
    • Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:18 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800
    Re: Creating a microvia with Pad_Designer 16.5 Reply

m,

Not sure why the Microvia is greyed out, but you should be able to do as you suggested.  Open up an existing via, save it as you new via and edit the drill diameter and the layers to achieve what you require and save.

Have a good day, Ken Capture 16.5 S022, Layout 16.2.0p001, PCB Editor 16.5 S025
    • Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:28 AM

• padmaster
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 2 2009
    • Huntsville, AL
    • Posts 60
    • Points 825
    Re: Creating a microvia with Pad_Designer 16.5 Answer Reply

The only way to enable the microvia option, that I can tell, is to modify the layer structure of the padstack to make the via blind/buried. Null out the default and bottom layers pads, then insert "layer2" below "begin layer" and the microvia option is enabled.

Not really sure what the microvia option buys you. I have some blind/buried laser drill vias where the microvia option is enabled but it is not checked. Don't recall it being a problem. I guess if the via is a thru via, it cannot be defined as a microvia....no matter how small.

• Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:39 PM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 296
    • Points 4,710

There are two reasons that this option may be greyed:

• via is a through via (has a top and bottom pad defined)
    • you have not selected the Miniaturization license option

The benefit of assgning a padstack to be a micovia is that you can employ a different set of spacing rules. If your spacing rules are the same for bbvia and mircro vias you can don't need to set this padstack optin

• Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:43 AM

• mfris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 18 2012
    • Durham, NC
    • Posts 20
    • Points 440

Thanks for the responses, everyone. 

My problem was that I did not null everything in the "bottom" layer for the via I used as a template.

Thanks again.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:55 PM

• vincentronel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 6 2012
    • Muntinlupa City, Philippines
    • Posts 5
    • Points 255
    Hi, I think you should first define the micro vias you are using in the padstack... sample if you are using a blind via top to layer 2.. and then burried via layer to "any layer" , in your via pad stack you should already define the layers.. if you do have a via that you want to edit, go to TOOLS/PADSTACK/MODIFY PADSTACK DESIGN and then on the right side edit that existing padstack for your vias.. then go to SETUP/VIAS/DEFINE B/B VIAS.. there in your windows search for that padstack you modify earlier, take note that you edit for the mean time the b/b padstack name first to 1 2 3 and so on on every micro vias needed.. and then define the start layer and end layer there.. then ok.. go back SETUP/VIAS/DEFINE B/B VIAS AND NOW RENAME the padstack naming standard you are using... :) whenever you are setting a micro vias always purge all vias before generating a new one.. you also want to purge vias in constraint manager, if not the setting for micro vias will not be OK.. hope it helps you..
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mfris at 05 Nov 2012 10:20 AM. Topic has 5 replies.