Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > clearing CIW window?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

clearing CIW window? 

Last post Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:54 PM by Andrew Beckett. 5 replies.
Started by 01farhad10 02 Nov 2012 12:46 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 1540 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 12:46 PM

clearing CIW window? Reply

Is there any way to clear CIW window (message/log window) from menus or with a SKILL command?

Thanks 

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:58 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,585
    • Points 15,860
    Re: clearing CIW window? Reply

Hi,

Not that I know of.  You can always do something like this: printf("\n\n\n\n\n\n") to print multiple blank lines which will have the effect of clearing the CIW output pane.  Can I ask why you want to do this?  Or if you are asking about what goes into the CIW output pane, use the Options -> Log Filter to control what gets filtered.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:26 AM

Thanks Lawrence for your answer. I am simply intrested in clearing the CIW output pane once in a while because it is always filled with messages/warnings from previous actions and if a new series of warning/error messages are generated after doing a new action it takes time to figure out where the new series of messages start in the output pane. The ability to clear the output pane from previous messages would be an easier way to track what is printed in the output pane after a new action is performed.

It is strange that there is no function to clear the CIW output pane but using printf("\n\n\n") should be a useful workaround! Thanks. 

• Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:38 AM

The reason why this is not there is because the CIW shows a filtered version of the CDS.log file - and you can change the log filter settings (on the Options menu) to add things back in which you've filtered - you can also choose how much historical data it shows - so you can increase that too. So clearing doesn't make an enormous amount of sense in that context...

Regards,

Andrew
    • Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:54 AM

• dmay
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 393
    • Points 7,415

I find that turning on everything in the Log Filter (CIW Options menu) helps a lot. As CAD, I have all log settings tuned on, but most of my users have a subset turned on. When I look at their CIW windows, I typically only see error and warning messages and find it difficult to know if they are related to a recent command. When the log filter at least shows the input (Accelerated Input in 6.1, or Input Menu Commands in 5.1.41), the the log filter is constantly scrolling every time you perform an action (zoom, scroll, select, etc). The Warnings and Errors are then associated with the command on the preceding line.

Just my 2 cents ...

Derek

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:54 PM

That's true - but if you see the error message and then turn the accelerated input on, you'll still see it update from the CDS.log and see the error in context, without having to have it scroll all the time when you don't need to see that level of detail.

Andrew
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by 01farhad10 at 02 Nov 2012 12:46 PM. Topic has 5 replies.