Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Simulation failed, cannot compile ahdl libraries

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Simulation failed, cannot compile ahdl libraries 

Last post Mon, Dec 3 2012 1:25 PM by Kabal. 6 replies.
Started by Kabal 02 Nov 2012 12:08 PM. Topic has 6 replies and 2513 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 2 2012 12:08 PM

• Kabal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 29 2011
    • NM, NM
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,530
    Simulation failed, cannot compile ahdl libraries Reply

Hello, I am using the IBM0.18um kit, and so far can simulate stuff without problems.

Now that i have added some customizable ESD structures to schematic, then i layed it all out, checked, lvs'ed, no problems so far.

What i want to do now is simulate the whole thing, and for some reason Cadence does not do it saying that it cannot compile ahdlcmi module library. I am not quite sure what has to be done to feed that data correctly and make MMSIM 10 simulate everything?

below is a log file:

Created directory input.ahdlSimDB/ (775)
    Created directory input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_esd_modules.va.It2_monitor.ahdlcmi/ (775)
    Created directory input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_esd_modules.va.It2_monitor.ahdlcmi/Linux/ (775)
    Compiling ahdlcmi module library.

Error found by spectre during AHDL read-in.
        ERROR (VACOMP-1008): Cannot compile ahdlcmi module library. Check the log file input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_esd_modules.va.It2_monitor.ahdlcmi/Linux/../ahdlcmi.out for details. If the compiler ran out of memory, use 'setenv CDS_CMI_COMPLEVEL 0', and try again. If the reason for the failure was a syntax error, contact your Cadence Customer Support representative with the netlist, log files, behavioral model files, and any other information that can help identify the problem.
        ERROR (SFE-91): Error when elaborating the instance It2_monitor. Simulation should be terminated.

Opening directory input.ahdlSimDB/ (775)
    Opening directory input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_esd_modules.va.It2_monitor.ahdlcmi/ (775)
    Opening directory input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_esd_modules.va.It2_monitor.ahdlcmi/Linux/ (775)

ERROR (VACOMP-2235): Internal Compiling Error: The built-in termcurs parameter is redefined in module 'It2_monitor'.
            Please send the netlist, log files, behavioral model files, and any other information that can help identify the problem to support@cadence.com.
        ERROR (VACOMP-1816): Exiting AHDL compilation.
        ERROR (SFE-91): Error when elaborating the instance It2_monitor. Simulation should be terminated.

Opening directory input.ahdlSimDB/ (775)
    Created directory input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_mvcap.va.mosvarcap.ahdlcmi/ (775)
    Created directory input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_mvcap.va.mosvarcap.ahdlcmi/Linux/ (775)
    Compiling ahdlcmi module library.

ERROR (VACOMP-1008): Cannot compile ahdlcmi module library. Check the log file input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_mvcap.va.mosvarcap.ahdlcmi/Linux/../ahdlcmi.out for details. If the compiler ran out of memory, use 'setenv CDS_CMI_COMPLEVEL 0', and try again. If the reason for the failure was a syntax error, contact your Cadence Customer Support representative with the netlist, log files, behavioral model files, and any other information that can help identify the problem.
        ERROR (SFE-91): Error when elaborating the instance mosvarcap. Simulation should be terminated.
        ERROR (VACOMP-1697): "parameter real (*integer inherited_mfactor; *) m=1;<<--? "
            "Internal (bsource)", line 381: Attempting to redefine identifier 'm'. Remove the extra definition or use a different identifier.

Time for Elaboration: CPU = 1.00685 s, elapsed = 1.58013 s.
    Time accumulated: CPU = 1.41178 s, elapsed = 2.02404 s.
    Peak resident memory used = 40.2 Mbytes.

spectre terminated prematurely due to fatal error.

by the way, i tried setenv CDS_CMI_COMPLEVEL 0, it did not help.

any ideas?

• Post Points: 20
  • Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:35 PM

Re: Simulation failed, cannot compile ahdl libraries Reply

Did you try checking the log file that it suggested:

input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_mvcap.va.mosvarcap.ahdlcmi/Linux/../ahdlcmi.out

What does that say? Which OS are you running on? (please post the output of:
    cat /etc/redhat-release ; uname -a
    )

Regards,

Andrew.

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:48 AM

• Kabal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • NM, NM
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,530

That directory is not explicitly specified, where do i find input.ahdlSimDB... ?  under which directory should i find it? I looked in Simulation folder, cadence folder under which i have all files, and could not find that file?

and regarding the version of OS:

Scientific Linux release 6.1 (Carbon)
    Linux desktop1 2.6.32-220.23.1.el6

So far there were no issues with that, i can simulate just about anything, layout, lvs etc... except this error..

• Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:50 AM

The input.ahdlSimDb dir should be adjacent to the input.scs file, which is in the "netlist" directory produced by ADE.

If you display the netlist in ADE, the banner should give the full path to where that is.

Andrew
  • Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:10 PM

• Kabal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • NM, NM
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,530

Thanks Andrew, well, here goes the log from that last simulation whcih failed:

ahdlcmicompile: Compiling ahdlcmi in input.ahdlSimDB//2156_cmrf7sf_relML_Spectre_models_mvcap.va.mosvarcap.ahdlcmi/Linux/ for Linux with optimize using gcc on Mon Nov  5 13:07:40 MST 2012 [5.0]
    ahdlcmicompile: Generating makefile
    PATH:  /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.1/install/bin:/opt/cadence/IC610/bin:/opt/cadence/IC610/tools/bin:/opt/cadence/IC610/share/oa/bin:/opt/cadence/ASSURA41/tools/dfII/bin:/opt/cadence/ASSURA41/tools/assura/bin:/opt/cadence/ASSURA41/tools/bin:/opt/cadence/EXT101/tools/bin:/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools/bin:/opt/cadence/IC610/share/bin:/opt/cadence/IC610/tools/dfII/bin:/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/MATLAB/R2012a/bin:/home/blackops/bin
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH:  /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.1/install/lib:/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools/lib:/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/mdl/lib:/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/mmsim/lib:/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/inca/lib:/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/spectre/lib:/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/lib/SuSE:/opt/cadence/IC610/tools/lib:/opt/cadence/IC610/tools/lib/SuSE/SLES11:/opt/cadence/IC610/share/oa/lib/linux_rhel40_32/opt:/opt/cadence/IC610/tools/QT/lib:/opt/cadence/IC610/tools/dfII/lib:/opt/cadence/IC610/tools/sev/lib:/opt/cadence/IC610/tools/inca/lib:/opt/cadence/ASSURA41/tools/assura/lib:/opt/cadence/ASSURA41/tools/lib:/opt/cadence/EXT101/tools/lib
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/spectre/ahdlcmi/bin/gnumake -j3 -f GNUmakefile
    Compiling C file mosvarcap_func.c (optimize) with -O0
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/bin/gcc  -march=i686 -m32 -ffast-math -O0 -DSYSV -DSVR4 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC   -DconfigSPECTRE -I. -I/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/spectre/ahdlcmi/include -c mosvarcap_func.c -o obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_func.o || rm -f -f obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_func.o
    Compiling C file mosvarcap_DcFuncDerLoad.c (optimize)
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/bin/gcc  -march=i686 -m32 -ffast-math -O0 -DSYSV -DSVR4 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC   -DconfigSPECTRE -I. -I/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/spectre/ahdlcmi/include -c mosvarcap_DcFuncDerLoad.c -o obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_DcFuncDerLoad.o || rm -f -f obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_DcFuncDerLoad.o
    Compiling C file mosvarcap_DcFuncLoad.c (optimize)
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/bin/gcc  -march=i686 -m32 -ffast-math -O0 -DSYSV -DSVR4 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC   -DconfigSPECTRE -I. -I/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/spectre/ahdlcmi/include -c mosvarcap_DcFuncLoad.c -o obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_DcFuncLoad.o || rm -f -f obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_DcFuncLoad.o
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/bin/cdsgcc: line 264: /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/install/bin/gcc: cannot execute binary file
    rm -f -rf mosvarcap_func.c
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/bin/cdsgcc: line 264: /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/install/bin/gcc: cannot execute binary file
    rm -f -rf mosvarcap_DcFuncLoad.c
    Compiling C file mosvarcap_TranFuncDerLoad.c (optimize)
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/bin/gcc  -march=i686 -m32 -ffast-math -O0 -DSYSV -DSVR4 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC   -DconfigSPECTRE -I. -I/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/spectre/ahdlcmi/include -c mosvarcap_TranFuncDerLoad.c -o obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_TranFuncDerLoad.o || rm -f -f obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_TranFuncDerLoad.o
    rm -f -rf mosvarcap_DcFuncDerLoad.c
    Compiling C file mosvarcap_TranFuncLoad.c (optimize)
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/bin/gcc  -march=i686 -m32 -ffast-math -O0 -DSYSV -DSVR4 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC   -DconfigSPECTRE -I. -I/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/spectre/ahdlcmi/include -c mosvarcap_TranFuncLoad.c -o obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_TranFuncLoad.o || rm -f -f obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_TranFuncLoad.o
    Compiling C file mosvarcap_cmi_c.c (optimize) with -O0
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/bin/gcc  -march=i686 -m32 -ffast-math -O0 -DSYSV -DSVR4 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC   -DconfigSPECTRE -I. -I/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/spectre/ahdlcmi/include -I/opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cmi/include -c mosvarcap_cmi_c.c -o obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_cmi_c.o || rm -f -f obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_cmi_c.o
    rm -f -rf mosvarcap_TranFuncDerLoad.c
    rm -f -rf mosvarcap_TranFuncLoad.c
    rm -f -rf mosvarcap_cmi_c.c
    /opt/cadence/MMSIM111/tools.lnx86/cdsgcc/gcc/4.4/bin/gcc -shared -O0 -fPIC -o obj/optimize/5.0/libahdlcmi.so ./obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_func.o ./obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_DcFuncDerLoad.o ./obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_DcFuncLoad.o ./obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_TranFuncDerLoad.o ./obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_TranFuncLoad.o ./obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_cmi_c.o  -m32 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/lib -s
    gnumake: *** [obj/optimize/5.0/libahdlcmi.so] Error 126
    gnumake: *** No rule to make target `obj/optimize/5.0/mosvarcap_func.o', needed by `obj/optimize/5.0/libahdlcmi.so'.  Stop.

Now, as you see gnumake failed and it seems that it just couldnt execute binary file, gcc.

I navigated to that folder and saw that its there, but the weird thing is it has: 55261 - user #55261  as an owner. I have no Idea why that would be? 

and i tried to change ownership of that file as a root, and give it to me, just to test if it works, but the "chown myuser bin" did not do anything!

any idea what can be done ?

• Sat, Nov 17 2012 11:06 AM

My guess is that you're running a 32-bit OS, and we only support 64-bit OS versions these days (plus the fact that you're using an unsupported distribution of Linux, but that's probably not the issue). I would expect the "uname -a" output to have  x86_64 in it somewhere.

Andrew.

• Mon, Dec 3 2012 1:25 PM

• Kabal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • NM, NM
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,530

thanks. Yes that was the problem I later on discovered, so to get it working on 32bit I had to switch to MMSIM10 on those machines.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Kabal at 02 Nov 2012 12:08 PM. Topic has 6 replies.