Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > CIS Derive database part Schematic part Libraries

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

CIS Derive database part Schematic part Libraries 

Last post Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:41 AM by Gareth Savage. 8 replies.
Started by Gareth Savage 31 Oct 2012 09:39 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 2272 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:39 AM

CIS Derive database part Schematic part Libraries Reply

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me which sections of the Capture.ini file will populate the "Schematic Part Libraries:" and  the "Schematic Part:" drop down when you attempt a Derive Database Part operation please?

Left Click on Part.

Edit ->Derive Database Part.

Pop-up = "New Database Part"

"Schematic Part" -> Browse  "Schematic Part" and "Scematic Part Libraries" boxes are empty.

"Footprint" -> Browse .... under Footprint dropdown box shows Footprints contained in libraries pointed to by:

[Allegro Footprints]
    Dir0=J:\PhysicsandAstronomy\Electronics\ORCAD\Allegro-PCB_Editor\Allegro Footprints

Dir1=J:\PhysicsandAstronomy\Electronics\ORCAD\Allegro-PCB_Editor\Allegro Padstacks

in the Capture.INI file and BackupCaptureCIS.INI

The "Configured Libraries:" box is empty.

All very curious, the tools for looking at the ini files seem rather "clunky" to say the least!

Many Thanks in advance.

Gareth

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Oct 31 2012 2:10 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,525
    Re: CIS Derive database part Schematic part Libraries Reply

Can you place database parts? Sounds like you probably cannot because no Part Libraries are configured. EITHER, set the Libraries in Capture CIS through Place>Part, Add Library button - you can add multiple libraries, close Capture CIS and re-open it to get the new library configuration know to CIS, this does not need any INI file editing, the tool does it. OR close Capture CIS and edit the INI file with a text editor, add a new section called [Part Library Directories] and add entries for Dir0=<first OLB file directory>, Dir1=<second OLB.. on subsequent lines, adn save the modified file. "Part Library Directories" beats the "Place>Part" configured libraries and only requires the directory / directories to be specified, instaed of individual library files.

(You should check that you can actually write to the OLB files / directories if you want to modify the contents)

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:06 AM

Thanks oldmouldy,

That's what I thought too but the boxes still are not populated, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the libraries being on a network drive or the naming of the directories?  Here are my Capture.ini settings that I think are relevant, the Capture.INI and BackupCaptureCIS.INI get modified when I close CaptureCIS so I'm happy with that side of things:

[Part Library Directories]
    Dir0=J:\PhysicsandAstronomy\Electronics\ORCAD\Capture\Capture Parts Libraries

[Part Selector Configured Libraries]
    Number of Configured Libraries=4
    Library0=J:\PHYSICSANDASTRONOMY\ELECTRONICS\ORCAD\CAPTURE\CAPTURE PARTS LIBRARIES\EWS_ACTIVE.OLB
    Library1=J:\PHYSICSANDASTRONOMY\ELECTRONICS\ORCAD\CAPTURE\CAPTURE PARTS LIBRARIES\EWS_CONNECTOR.OLB
    Library2=J:\PHYSICSANDASTRONOMY\ELECTRONICS\ORCAD\CAPTURE\CAPTURE PARTS LIBRARIES\EWS_DISCRETE.OLB
    Library3=J:\PHYSICSANDASTRONOMY\ELECTRONICS\ORCAD\CAPTURE\CAPTURE PARTS LIBRARIES\NAT_SEMI.OLB

(I added the nat_semi one after your post for a sanity check, but it still didn't show up!)

I wonder if it has anything to do with Capture CIS having "CAPITILISED" the paths, but why then do the Allegro footprint paths seem to work?

I can place database parts but only those which have some of the path explicitly in the database entry for example:

EWS_CONNECTOR\CON1

works because I have modified the database manually using Microsoft Access.  This is consistent with the cadence documentation pg 32/33 cisug.pdf:

"CIS locates the Capture library using the following set
    of prioritized rules:
    1. Search the library at the explicit path, if provided.
    2. Search the first library listed in Capture.ini that
    has a matching library filename.
    3. Search all directories that contain configured
    libraries.
    If no libraries are included specifically in your Capture
    design, CIS searches the LIBRARY directory in your
    Capture installation directory."

I guess I'll have to play a bit more to figure this one out!

Cheers

Gareth.

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 4:34 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,525

You have [Part Library Directories] set, any [Part Selector Configured Libraries] entries will be irrelevant.

I recommend that you don't get too specific with the Schematic Part location definition in the database. IF you specify the full path and library in the database, the symbol MUST come from that EXACT location, this might be good for quality but it is not very helpful when trying to debug library location issues, or the libraries get moved to another path - the database Schematic Part entries will all have to be changed. I prefer the "just the symbol name", this has the least chance of not being located but it does require a bit of attention to ensure that the same symbol name does not exist in more than one library; if the library names aren't "ever" going to change, you can go with the <library name>\<schematic part> when defining the Schematic Part value in the database, just remember that, if the part is not located within the specified library, CIS won't be able to place the part (reported as "unable to read Part information").

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:27 AM

Thanks for giving this some time oldmouldy,

oldmouldy:

You have [Part Library Directories] set, any [Part Selector Configured Libraries] entries will be irrelevant.

Yes according to what I have read.

I recommend that you don't get too specific with the Schematic Part location definition in the database. IF you specify the full path and library in the database, the symbol MUST come from that EXACT location, this might be good for quality but it is not very helpful when trying to debug library location issues, or the libraries get moved to another path - the database Schematic Part entries will all have to be changed. I prefer the "just the symbol name", this has the least chance of not being located but it does require a bit of attention to ensure that the same symbol name does not exist in more than one library; if the library names aren't "ever" going to change, you can go with the <library name>\<schematic part> when defining the Schematic Part value in the database, just remember that, if the part is not located within the specified library, CIS won't be able to place the part (reported as "unable to read Part information").

Yes, that is exactly what I am ultimately trying to acheive ("just the symbol name").  It seems, however, although I have  [Part Library Directories] set, when I try to place a database part whose schematic part name is "just the symbol name" i get the error (reported as "unable to read Part information").

It would seem that Capture CIS (DATABASE SIDE) does not know where my Schematic part libraries are, even though it is defined in either  [Part Library Directories]  or [Part Selector Configured Libraries].  If I use a non database part (i.e. place part) the libraries and parts are both there AND can be added or deleted, the schematic parts can also be seen in the preview.

We've never really used CIS databases before and so I don't know if this could be a bug with this version (16.5-S030).

I've deleted the Capture.INI file in order to let capture create a new one, but it hasn't solved my problem yet!

Thanks again

Gareth

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 8:03 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,525

A bug in this regard is extremely unlikely.

When in the CIS Explorer, Place>Database Part, check that all the required fields: Part Number, Part Type, Schematic Part, Value have valid values and not blank. Also check that you don't have a database field named after one of the OrCAD Property Names but tried to map the data to another field, CIS won't be able to pick up the correct data in this scenario.

You could also try to revert to the supplied database and configuration and check that the sample data works correctly - this will also give you an idea what the setup should resemble. (You should create another Capture.ini file to try this so that you don't have to reconfigure your settings again)

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 8:40 AM

We have a laptop with a fresh install of 16.5-s001, set to the sample CIS databae

I opened a previous project and tried to derive a part. The schematic parts and libraries in the normal local install path  were there, so were the footprints from the normal (local) path!

I then added my footprint (network) directory to the CAPTURE.INI file locally on the laptop.

I opened the project and tried to derive a part. The schematic parts and libraries in the normal install were there, so were the footprints only from my network directory (as expected).  Cancelled the derive part and added a library (just one) using the place part method, shut down Capture CIS and restarted.

I ran Capture CIS again and opened the project and tried to derive a part ALL the libraries from the directory where the one library was opened were displayed together with all the schematic parts!

I then swapped over to the database we are now using (as opposed to the sample one) and tried to derive a part again and it all works correctly!

From this my thoughts so far are:

1. My machine has a different setting/file somehwere else that is causing this behaviour?

2. The later version on my machine has caused this behaviour?

3. The laptop is using/modifying a file called CAPTURE.INI rather than Capture.INI which is curious.

I think I will try using the CAPTURE.INI file from the laptop on my machine and possibly try adding the latest Hotfixes to the laptop to see if it breaks.

Is there anything in the registry or elsewhere that could be causing this?

Cheers

Gareth

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Nov 1 2012 8:57 AM

Update!

I shut down Capture CIS on the Laptop and then ran it again to test, I can no longer see any schematic libraries when I try to derive a part!

Surely this must be a bug?

I think I'll contact tech support and give them this link as a reference.

Cheers

Gareth

• Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:41 AM

Hi All,

Right then, on the laptop when no libraries or schematic parts are available in derive database part:

1. Delete all libraries in part selector, Restart Capture CIS, try to derive a placed part = schematic parts and libraries in original install location available.

2. Add library in part selector (any library  from the directory you want), Restart Capture CIS.

3. Now try to derive a placed part = all schematic parts and libraries in your directory available.

So that is how you fix it, here's how to break it!!!

Try to do a "Place Database Part", select a part to place that gives the message "LBT Out of Sync warning" "Symbols/Foot Prints in configured libraries might have changed. Would you like to update them now?" (I have no idea what causes this yet, it seems random!)

Click yes, next message is "INFO(ORCIS-6057):  This operation may take some time. Would you like to continue?", click yes.  You can now double click on the part you  were trying to place  and place it in the schematic.

Try to derive a placed part = all your libraries still available.

Restart Capture CIS, Try to derive a placed part = No libraries available!

Any thoughts/can you confirm this oldmouldy?

Cheers

Gareth

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Gareth Savage at 31 Oct 2012 09:39 AM. Topic has 8 replies.