Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > issue in altering the 'numInst' value for a iterated instance

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

issue in altering the 'numInst' value for a iterated instance 

Last post Tue, Oct 30 2012 10:29 PM by Chikoo. 4 replies.
Started by Chikoo 30 Oct 2012 08:34 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 743 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 30 2012 8:34 AM

• Chikoo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 12 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110
    issue in altering the 'numInst' value for a iterated instance Reply

Hi,

I am trying to alter the parameter 'numInst' for an iterated instance.i.e.,I am trying re-assign the numInst paramter.But I can see that the value is not getting updated.

The assignment was working fine in 5.1 version but it is not working in OA version 6.1.5.

eg:

cv=geGetEditCellView()

instId=dbOpenCellViewByType(<libName> <cellName> "symbol" "" "r")

cellId = dbCreateInst(cv instId "test" <coord> "R0" 5)

The above will return me an iterated instance 'test<4:0>' at the location defined by <coord>.

Now if i have to alter the number of instances to 2 later in the code, in older version 5.1, I could do something like cellId~>numInst=2 which will return me an instance 'test<1:0>'.But the same is not working in 6.1.5.

After doing some research i found the command 'dbSetAnyInstNumInst' in 'Integrator’s Toolkit: Database Reference Manual,Product Version 5.0'.

Is there any equivalent command for 'dbSetAnyInstNumInst' in 6.1 or is there some other way in which we can change the numInst value.

Thanks in advance,

Chikva

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Oct 30 2012 7:58 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575
    Re: issue in altering the 'numInst' value for a iterated instance Reply

Hi Chikva,

I have never tried to set numInst directly, I always assumed that it would be derived from the instance name (e.g. I<4:0> would yield numInst of 5) - the IC61x dbCreateInst function still accepts the x_numInst argument, so what doesn't work, modifying it directly?  I could not find this documented anywhere.  It may be that you have encountered a feature which was undocumented which happened to change between releases - I don't know without investigating deeper.  By the way in your code example I think the names should be swapped for less confusion, i.e. cellId should be used for the return value of the dbOpenCellViewByType function, and instId should be used for the return value of dbCreateInst.

Hope this helps,

Lawrence.

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:27 PM

• Chikoo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

Hi Lawrence,

I need to modify the numInst value based on certain conditions.i.e,I will be needing different bit instances to be used as I will be using a skill code to generate my toplevel block.

Thanks,

Chikva

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:54 PM

• Slayer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 14 2011
    • Posts 29
    • Points 310

Use the dbCreateParamInst(celview master name x:y rotation numberOfInst parameters)

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 10:29 PM

• Chikoo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

Thanks Slayer.

I can use the suggested command or even dbCreateInst ,but I will be losing the connectivity information,otherwise I need to do a Check and Save in between after instantiating the block.Again I need to retrieve the co-ordiante information before removing the old instance so that I can re-instantiate

Thats why I was checking for a work around.:-)

Thanks,

Chikva

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Chikoo at 30 Oct 2012 08:34 AM. Topic has 4 replies.