Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > getting your final netlist with sevNetlistFile

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

getting your final netlist with sevNetlistFile 

Last post Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:05 PM by Andrew Beckett. 3 replies.
Started by swdesigner 23 Oct 2012 11:49 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 943 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 23 2012 11:49 PM

getting your final netlist with sevNetlistFile Reply

I see some old posts related to this. Not sure where we are today. Here's what I'm trying to do :

Generate a netlist in batch mode; generate the runSimulation file; copy the run directory; launch the sim in the copy directory with the runSimulation command. Problem is that that ocean script you get from ADE > Session > Save Ocean Script is totally inadequate.

I started off with createNetlist(?recreateAll t) but found that not all components of the design were showing in the netlist directory. Worst of all, no runSimulation file.

I searched support and found runams -netlist. But the note says it doesn't work for cellview based netlisting, only OSS.

Luckily, support also had something on  asiGetSimulationRunCommand.

This led me to sevNetlistFile. Unfortunately, when I try this

sess=asiGetCurrentSession()
    sevNetlistFile(sess 'recreate)

Loading simui.cxt
    *Error* slotValue: no such slot - simID

Any suggestions?

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:32 AM

Re: getting your final netlist with sevNetlistFile Reply

A few points/questions:

1. What is "totally inadequate" about the Save OCEAN Script?
    2. If the createNetlist(?recreateAll t) is missing things, then netlisting from ADE would also be missing things - and so any attempt to use sevNetlistFile would fail (I would expect). I'd want to understand why anything is missing...
    3. It is not really supported to use the "runSimulation" script yourself (although that's primarily for "interactive" mode - it puts a comment in the runSimulation file to this effect).
    4. sevNetlistFile() doesn't create the runSimulation script anyway.
    5. The reason why it fails is because sevNetlistFile is expecting a "sev" session, as returned by sevSession(hiGetCurrentWindow()) rather than an "asi" session.

Regards,

Andrew

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:30 AM

Thanks for replying.

1. I won't get into this. 

2. I thought it was missing things, but, somehow, when you hit run(), magic happens and all the stuff I would expect to be there at netlist-done time get created.

3. I've been using ./runSimulation for years. I feel powerful being able to script and automate. GUI's are good for the first run, but we must give users control.

4. True, this works :

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

sess=asiGetCurrentSession()

createNetlist(?recreateAll t)

asiGetSimulationRunCommand(sess)

Question, why would the manual tell you sevNetlistFile( sess 'recreate) (which doesn't work) and not say anything about this use model?

I understand a lot of effort has gone into building what we have. I'm not trying to disparage it. If I said it was perfect, that would be bad - coz there would be no room for improvement. From a user experience point of view, there is a LOT of room for improvement.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:05 PM

re your question - sevNetlistFile(sess 'recreate) does work (I just tried it, in case there was a bug, but since it's used in ADE that seemed unlikely). You have to pass it the right kind of session - and obtaining that is documented in the same manual (with sevSession()). I don't understand what you mean by "not say anything about this use model". If  you mean running with runSimulation, then that's not documented because it's not the expected (or supported) use model. We do tell you how to run simulations using OCEAN (e.g. the run() function). The sev.* functions are primarily there to interface with the ADE environment.

So I guess I don't understand (quite) your question?

BTW, the whole point of OCEAN was to give people additional control and to be able to do things in a scripted fashion - we recognize user interfaces don't always fit everyones needs. Similarly people create netlists and run the simulation outside Virtuoso (not necessarily using the runSimulation command because they can provide the arguments to spectre themselves, or whatever). Scripting and automation is a good thing, I agree!

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by swdesigner at 23 Oct 2012 11:49 PM. Topic has 3 replies.