Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > To have inverter symbol without VDD and GND as well as successful post layout simulation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

To have inverter symbol without VDD and GND as well as successful post layout simulation 

Last post Mon, Oct 22 2012 2:42 AM by Andrew Beckett. 1 replies.
Started by gentle016 22 Oct 2012 01:11 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 898 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Oct 22 2012 1:11 AM

• gentle016
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 8 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    To have inverter symbol without VDD and GND as well as successful post layout simulation Reply

I am not using vdd and gnd as pins in schematic(instead using instances from analoglib).Now after layout is done and config view is done,the post layout simulation is not considering the vdd and gnd(therefore shows different output waveform).If I use the vdd and gnd pins(in scematic) than i get the correct waveform, however this makes inverter symbol with four legs. 

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Oct 22 2012 2:42 AM

Re: To have inverter symbol without VDD and GND as well as successful post layout simulation Reply

The pins on the layout could have global names, and then it should work. However, the best solution would be to use inherited connections. If you create pins on your schematic for vdd  and vss using a "netExpr" (defaulting to (say) vdd! and vss!), controlled by a properties vdd and vss respectively, and also use Layout XL to generate the layout - you'll have similar pins on the layout, and also on any resulting extracted view.

There's then no need to have the pins on the symbol - you can keep that having just the input and output pins. You'll also then have the ability to reuse the inverter in various supply domains by adding netSet properties at a higher level to override the values of the supplies.

This is well covered in the documentation - probably search for "inherited connections" or "netExpr" or something like that.

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by gentle016 at 22 Oct 2012 01:11 AM. Topic has 1 replies.