Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > irun: design.v is verilog and verilog AMS

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

irun: design.v is verilog and verilog AMS 

Last post Thu, Oct 18 2012 8:29 AM by moogyd. 2 replies.
Started by moogyd 18 Oct 2012 07:28 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 1528 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Oct 18 2012 7:28 AM

• moogyd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 22 2010
    • Posts 23
    • Points 385
    irun: design.v is verilog and verilog AMS Reply

Hi,

We are migrating to an irun based flow to simplifiy our compile/elab/sim flow, and have a slight issue.

We have a file design.v, containing module design. Depending on a define, this can either be a standard digital module, or a WREAL model.

i.e. Within the file

`ifdef WREAL

wreal sig_name;

`endif

This issue is that irun uses the file extesion to infer the type of file, in this case, it does not work.

This is a non-trivial design, so I have multiple verilog, vhdl and vams files, and using the -ams is probably not an option.

Question is: Can anyone suggest a solution? Is there an command line option that I missed, which applies to a single file only?

Thaks,

Steven

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Oct 18 2012 8:08 AM

• tpylant
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 135
    • Points 2,030
    RE: irun: design.v is verilog and verilog AMS Reply
    A few thoughts:

1. Rename the file with a “.vams” extension. Since Verilog-2001 is a subset  of Verilog-AMS, the syntax should compile correctly whether you have the WREAL defined or not.
    2. If for some reason you can’t rename the file or you use SV in the non-wreal code, then you could use a unique filename extension (eg. .sv-vams) and then use “=amsvlog_ext +,.sv-vams” for when you define WREAL or “-sysv_ext +,.sv-vams” for when you don’t define WREAL.
    3. If neither of those work, you could just compile the one file by itself and use the “-ams” switch when you define WREAL and then compile the remaining files using your standard irun command.

Tim
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Oct 18 2012 8:29 AM

• moogyd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 22 2010
    • Posts 23
    • Points 385
    Re: RE: irun: design.v is verilog and verilog AMS Reply

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the ideas

1) This would solve the immediate issue. We are currently not using SV, but will be in future. However, I guess that we would not be mixing wreal and sv in the same file.

2) Extra marks for "thinking outside the box", but no thanks :-) I don't think this solution would make me very popular within the company.

3) I had thought of this, but we would then start losing irun advantages.

One more thought I had is to use a verilog pre-processor+Makefile to auto-generate design.vams from design.v

For now, I'll go with (1)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Steven

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by moogyd at 18 Oct 2012 07:28 AM. Topic has 2 replies.