Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > APS or IRUN multithread = multicore?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

APS or IRUN multithread = multicore? 

Last post Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:35 AM by Chrisss. 8 replies.
Started by greatqs 17 Oct 2012 06:39 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 1770 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 17 2012 6:39 AM

• greatqs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 15 2011
    • Posts 26
    • Points 460
    APS or IRUN multithread = multicore? Reply

Is the terminology of "multithread" (i.e. +mt = x) in APS/IRUN means number of CPU core to use? On a 12 cpu core machines, the max number of "multithread" should be 12, is it right? Thanks

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Oct 17 2012 6:52 AM

Re: APS or IRUN multithread = multicore? Reply

Yes, that's right. The tool won't allow you to use more threads than "cores" that are available. Note that I put "cores" in quotation marks because if you have hyperthreading enabled, that will increase the number available to use - although in general we don't recommend using hyperthreading with APS because you don't typically get good scaling with a heavily floating point application like APS.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Oct 17 2012 7:00 AM

• greatqs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 26
    • Points 460

Andrew,

Thanks!

Is "hyperthreading" a simulator option or machine setup?

How about AMS simulation using IRUN? Since "+mt=x" is APS arguments, if the simulator need also to resolve HDL events, will it need more cores than specified by "+mt=x"? I'm asking this is to correct setup the LSF strings "bsub -n y" to correlate irun +mt=x arguments, otherwise LSF may confuse and causes the farm to be low efficient. 

Regards,
    QS

• Wed, Oct 17 2012 7:14 AM

Hyperthreading is a capability of Intel processors, and it is enabled/disabled as a BIOS setting usually. So it's a machine setup thing.

If you've allocated a certain number of cores when you submitted the job with LSF, you can use +mt=lsf - and then it will inherit the number of threads from the LSF settings.

There's no need to allocate more threads for HDL aspects - it's only the analog solver that is multi-threaded (that includes any analog parts of HDLs too).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Oct 17 2012 7:20 AM

• greatqs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 26
    • Points 460

Andrew,

For example 4 cores are used by analog solver for multithreading, but digital solver still need extra core for digital HDL, right? Otherwise 4 threads of the analog solver may not be balanced.

Thanks,

QS

• Wed, Oct 17 2012 7:26 AM

No, you don't need to do that. The +mt argument is only used for APS anyway - and the digital HDL is not multi-threaded so will be handled in the "main" thread. Given that the analog solver and digital "solver" are not active at the same time, there's no real benefit in having the digital in a separate thread from the analog (there has to be synchronization between the analog and digital - this is a consequence of how the two worlds are aligned).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 8:59 AM

• Chrisss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 18 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Hi all,

Sorry to up this topic.

Just to explain me why, when i want to do an APS simulation with multi threads option, i cannot use the maximum specified.

For example, when I set 6 threads, the message in start of simulation is: 

"Multithreading Enabled: 6 threads on system with 8 available processors."

and after:

" Waiting for available license for Virtuoso(R) Spectre."

And the simulation doesn't start, I've to change the 6 to 4 and then the simulation start.

But normally I can use 8 no ? 

Note that, no simulations are running (even from my colleague) when iḿ doing these tests.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rgds,

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 9:14 AM

APS uses 2 tokens for 1 core, and 4 tokens for 2-4 cores, and 6 tokens for 5-16 cores. If you are doing RF analyses, it will use one more than that.

So whatever is going on, you don't have enough licenses, which is why you're getting this problem. I don't know how many you have free.

If this doesn't makes sense to you, please contact customer support so that we can take a look.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:35 AM

• Chrisss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 18 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Hi,

Thanks for your explanations.

Rgds,

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by greatqs at 17 Oct 2012 06:39 AM. Topic has 8 replies.