Home > Community > Forums > IC Packaging and SiP Design > Creating Macro/Scripts with extensive editing

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Creating Macro/Scripts with extensive editing 

Last post Wed, Oct 10 2012 3:53 PM by Tyler. 3 replies.
Started by todd230 10 Oct 2012 09:56 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 9079 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 10 2012 9:56 AM

• todd230
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 12 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    Creating Macro/Scripts with extensive editing Reply

Hello,

I'm working a very large package design with another designer.  We are now working the same shift and I'd like to record some Macros to capture and input my work into the other designers database.  I'm finding that once multple commands and roaming are entered into the script the tool tends to lose its reference and features get placed incorrectly.  I've tried recording in Macro mode with mixed results.  I thought I would post to see if there are some common issues with this type of scripting.  I'd also be interested in others experience with converting journal files to script.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Oct 10 2012 1:43 PM

• Tyler
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 30
    • Points 435
    Re: Creating Macro/Scripts with extensive editing Reply

Hi Todd,

Please forgive me my ignorance, but is there a reason you'd be trying to use macros and scripts for this, rather than using the team design functionality that Cadence builds into the tools -- most notably, in this case, the Design Partitioning capabilities? Using DP would help to ensure that neither of you makes changes the other one doesn't see, nobody changes key attributes like constraints, etc. 

Cheers,
    - Tyler 

• Wed, Oct 10 2012 2:20 PM

• todd230
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 12 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hi Tyler,

I've not heard of this feature and would be interested in learning more.  The company I'm working with has done a lot of customization to APD, but partitioning is not a function currently used.  We are typically not working the design in parallel, but at times (like today) it would be useful to clip in or run a script to capture the work we are both doing to the design.  We always keep one design as a master which ensures no rules are altered.  The master file only receives a clip or a script to add new features.  End of day it is posted to server as "master".  We periodically read in a master constraint file to ensure no changes are made - huge constraint set.  Will look for info on partitioning.  Still interested in a way to replay my commands in another file.

Thanks,

Todd

• Wed, Oct 10 2012 3:53 PM

• Tyler
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 30
    • Points 435

Hi Todd,

I haven't experienced the problems with macros and scripts that you seem to be, so I can't really comment too much on that. Especially when trying to work concurrently on a single design with other individuals. In my experience, there's just too much opportunity for uncertainty and error in a flow like that, so I tend to avoid it. Particularly when there are better tools available.

That said, if you can give an indication of the commands you're running in the macro and how/when they tend to fail on you, maybe I can reproduce a similar effect on some of my designs and offer strategies.  

I'd definitely suggest reading the user docs available on design partitioning. You could also check out the online self-help pages and applications notes on the subjects, or talk with whoever is your Cadence support rep about it. They could feed you more information, I'm sure. It's designed to overcome a lot of the issues that you seem to be working around manually (like posting a "master" to the server at the end of the day, periodically reading in master constraint files, etc). The reports, ECO wizard, email notifications, etc. all provide me with a lot of value, particularly when it comes to peace of mind, over trying to manage it manually and fearing that I've forgotten something. 

Regards,
    - Tyler

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by todd230 at 10 Oct 2012 09:56 AM. Topic has 3 replies.