Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Pole-Zero analysis

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Pole-Zero analysis 

Last post Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:42 AM by Andrew Beckett. 1 replies.
Started by isazulkc 04 Oct 2012 10:27 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 1200 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:27 AM

• isazulkc
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 27 2008
    • Quebec, Quebec
    • Posts 40
    • Points 690
    Pole-Zero analysis Reply

Hi,

It is my first time trying to use pz analysis tool in IC514, so I created a very simple testbench including a simple miller OTA and an ideal svsvs having 1 pole. I got some issues and 3 points to be enlightened :

- First, when there is only the svcvs in the testbench, the pz summary give the expected result (only one pole). However, when I add the miller OTA in the testbench, the pz summary for the same svcvs give a lot of pole and zero (more than 20) additionnal to the expected pole. However, I noticed that most of them cancel each others. My question is why this happen, even if the only common node between th 2 blocks is VSS ?

- hence, the second question is how can I display only the pole and zero that are not cancelled ?

- Third, how to define the right component eval freq, as the MOS are frequency dependent component and the result varies with the eval freq I specify?

Thanks

Best Regards

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:42 AM

Re: Pole-Zero analysis Reply

The pz analysis has an option to do pole-zero cancellation, and you can specify the absdiff/reldiff parameters to control how close they are before cancellation. See "spectre -h pz" for more details.

Note that the component evaluation frequency is for devices where the component value is frequency dependent. That is for things like transmission lines - just because the impedance changes with frequency does not make the evaluation frequency important. Most of the time the evaluation frequency is not important.

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by isazulkc at 04 Oct 2012 10:27 AM. Topic has 1 replies.