Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > CIS to Database Integration

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

CIS to Database Integration 

Last post Mon, Oct 8 2012 9:38 AM by Ron Scott. 3 replies.
Started by Ron Scott 04 Oct 2012 07:21 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 958 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:21 AM

• Ron Scott
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 4 2012
    • Posts 17
    • Points 220
    CIS to Database Integration Reply

ALL,

I have a problem that is getting worse by the day. I'm using Capture CIS 16.5 and use Microsoft Access as my database. I'll open the schematic capture and the "place database part" resulting in a inordinate amount of time before the database opens. This morning it took me over nine minutes to get into the database. I've tried compacting the database, no effect. I have determined that the problem doesn't involve the net work because I placed the database locally and there was no change. I can't believe that I'm the only one in the world to experience this problem so I'd like to hear any questions or comments regarding my predictament. Any solutions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Scott 

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 7:37 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,162
    • Points 18,865
    Re: CIS to Database Integration Reply

I would recommend talking to Cadence (via the SR system) or the Cadence Channel Partner you purchase from to get this issue resolved. The forum would not be the best place to reoslve this type of issue. Regardless of the database size and location it should only take seonds not minutes to access the database.

HTH

Steve

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 2:14 PM

• Achath
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 5 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Have you tried connecting to the sample MS Access CIS database that comes with Cadence software - BENCH.MDB. If you experience similar performance issues then this probably has to do with ODBC drivers installed.

Recently someone had a similar performance issue with MS Access, however the database was hosted in USA and they were accessing from overseas. When they switched backend to the Free MS SQL Server Express edition software the speed went from several minutes on MS Access to less than 5 seconds.

As Steve mentioned I would recommend contacting technical support for a resolution.

Gopu 

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Oct 8 2012 9:38 AM

• Ron Scott
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 4 2012
    • Posts 17
    • Points 220
    Thanks for the input. I figured out what was going on. Tech support was not so helpful. What started me off on the right path was a comment made on the Microsoft forum that data was stored like" pearls on a string". I had done an experiment where I used a single part and it was retrieved with great speed. The most relevant clue was the size of the database. Mine was 94M. It turn out that when you set up a field the default is 256 characters, no matter what is in that field. For example, for a field that required y/n answer, it was ridiculous to use 256 characters. I went through the db and custom assigned fields. At the end, my8,000 part db was reduced to 4 m greating decreasing time to retrieve part from database.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Ron Scott at 04 Oct 2012 07:21 AM. Topic has 3 replies.