Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Orcad/Allegro Creating 3D Representations of Components ? That look Real

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Orcad/Allegro Creating 3D Representations of Components ? That look Real  

Last post Sun, Sep 30 2012 1:45 PM by ScottCad. 2 replies.
Started by ScottCad 29 Sep 2012 03:01 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 1584 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sat, Sep 29 2012 3:01 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775
    Orcad/Allegro Creating 3D Representations of Components ? That look Real Reply

Hi guys perhaps you can help with this one. In Allegro the 3d view of a board is kind of neat but the components only show as rectangular blocks on the board. It appears the component's are extracting their information from the Package height properity but this properity alone cannot provide enough info to create a true 3D model of the component.

So my question is how would one go about creating a decent looking 3d model of say perhaps a soic8 so that the 3d viewer in allegro displays it as it would look in the real world. Put another way, when I create a Land pattern for say a SOIC8 what other properities would need to be set to define the 3D settings for the package.

Is this even possible in V16.5 ?

Thanks Scott 

• Post Points: 20
  • Sun, Sep 30 2012 8:03 AM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 4 2011
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965
    Re: Orcad/Allegro Creating 3D Representations of Components ? That look Real Reply

Scott,

Yes, the 3D "modeling" capabilities of the tool are pretty basic but depending on how much time you want to spend creating symbols it is possible to get somewhat more realistic pictures.

The models are derived from the symbol's "place_bound_top" shapes as you know.  The key is in realizing that you can have multiple shapes on that subclass with different "Package_Height_Max" and "Package_Height_Min" properties.  Given the time and desire you could create shapes for the individual pins on an SOIC for example.  You are only limited by the details you want to incorporate in the shapes.

Roger Green

Roger Green - B F Systems, LLC
    • Post Points: 20
  • Sun, Sep 30 2012 1:45 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775
    Re: Orcad/Allegro Creating 3D Representations of Components ? That look Real Reply

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply. I had not thought about that subclass as you suggested so thats a big help right there. I will explore this and see what I can break : )

Thanks again Scott

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 29 Sep 2012 03:01 PM. Topic has 2 replies.