Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Shapes & Lines is there an easy way to measure the length of these.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Shapes & Lines is there an easy way to measure the length of these. 

Last post Thu, Sep 27 2012 9:12 AM by ScottCad. 2 replies.
Started by ScottCad 25 Sep 2012 08:06 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 753 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Sep 25 2012 8:06 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775
    Shapes & Lines is there an easy way to measure the length of these. Reply

Hi guys have a question on shapes and lines and trying to figure out an easy way to display the length of these.

When I draw a line and suppose for a second it is 2 inches long after the line is complete how can I measure the length of the line by perhaps clicking on it or other ? "The ruler works ok but if the line is a meandering type then the ruler dont work so good"

Same thing again with shapes. Suppose I have 3 shapes that are each 1" long by .250" wide. I connect the ends of the shapes and then edit them so they look like mitered transmission lines. In otherwords the 3 shapes are now combined into one to say look like an L. Does anyone know of a good way to measure these ?

On the shapes I again can use the ruler by clicking point to point along each section of the shape until my destination is reached or I can add a line on a different layer that follows the path of the shape to get the total length but I am curious if there is a better way to do this.

It would be neat if Allegro had a way of figuring out the length of lines and shapes just by clicking on it...

Thanks Scott.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:59 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,382
    • Points 23,540
    Re: Shapes & Lines is there an easy way to measure the length of these. Reply
    Certainly for lines you can hover over the item, tab to get the datatip for the required item and use right-click>Show Element to get the details, or use the Show Element icon (!) from the toolbar, use the Find Filter to get the required item type and the select the item to get the same thing. Shapes are not quite so simple, the same method will work to get you the details but, from your description, you are trying to get the "length" of a "shape" which is really an area.....
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Sep 27 2012 9:12 AM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775
    Re: Shapes & Lines is there an easy way to measure the length of these. Reply

Thanks OM

i Found that hover over the line works fine in the 16.5 so thats cool.

Now on the shapes, or transmission line I thought about it and I think making a constraint for the length might work. If it does then I would have my total length requirement in the bag.. I will poke around and see what's doable

Thanks Scott

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 25 Sep 2012 08:06 PM. Topic has 2 replies.